Eagle Oil Can Clone

lpeedin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've downloaded the plans for the oil can clone and plan to make a few of these as Christmas gifts. Of course, I'll post links to the video when finished. :)

My question concerns the body of the oil can itself. I will be using aluminum instead of brass because that's what I got a supply of. Although I like the look of polished aluminum I'm considering knurling a portion of the body to make it easier to hold.

What say ye? Good idea, or should I leave the body slick?

I have never tried to knurl a thin walled tube. How would you go about doing that? I.D. mandrel?

Last edited:
Make a filler to avoid crushing first.

Then locate a clamp style knurled tool.

They look like a large channel lock pliers but have wheels instead of teeth.

These require zero side pressure so less likely to cause isdues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I have never tried to knurl a thin walled tube. How would you go about doing that? I.D. mandrel?

I really don't know if I can knurl a tube. An ID mandrel might be the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make a filler to avoid crushing first.

Then locate a clamp style knurled tool.

They look like a large channel lock pliers but have wheels instead of teeth.

These require zero side pressure so less likely to cause isdues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks - very good suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clamp style knurling tools still develop a lot of pressure against the metal, it is just equalized on both sides of the work, so it does not push hard against the tool holder. Without some sort of close fitting mandrel/filler, the tube will certainly collapse under the pressure unless the walls are quite thick and strong.

A mandrel will work fine if very snug fit or use what some call fusable metal; some expand ever so slightly while others fit up to 100% of what ever your pouring it into. When finished knurling heat part, (temp varies cause the type of fusable metal used), with a heat gun, hot water etc.. The stuff runs out and you have a thin walled tube with knurling on it.

A mandrel will work fine if very snug fit or use what some call fusable metal; some expand ever so slightly while others fit up to 100% of what ever your pouring it into. When finished knurling heat part, (temp varies cause the type of fusable metal used), with a heat gun, hot water etc.. The stuff runs out and you have a thin walled tube with knurling on it.
But is that low melting point metal hard enough to support the tubing against the pressure from the knurls? It cannot be too difficult, I have cheap grease guns with knurling on the barrels. They are, however, much thicker and stiffer than most oil can walls...

But is that low melting point metal hard enough to support the tubing against the pressure from the knurls? It cannot be too difficult, I have cheap grease guns with knurling on the barrels. They are, however, much thicker and stiffer than most oil can walls...
YES

Back