E.Tinker

E.Tinker

Registered
Registered
I need to make up some accurately sized rings (same length & bur free I.D.) sliced from 1/8" I.D. brass tubing. What method will result in the best / most consistent way of producing them? I've read of freezing water inside the tubing to help prevent distorting it in the cutting process, but haven't tried it yet. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Carroll Johnson, (E. Tinker)

Well, I guess that would depend on what tools you have to work with, and what accuracy you need.

If you have a lathe, then just part them off. Then de-burr the ends.

Or, you could use a hack saw and file to length. A tubing cutter would work, again, de-burr the ends.

You could stick a 1/8 welding rod in the bore to keep it from collapsing while doing any of the above.

Some combination of the above would work also.

If you are cutting these with a hacksaw, I would make some wood jaws. Split a piece of hardwood lengthwise and sand the mating surfaces smooth and flat as accurately as you can. Then drill a 1/8 hole lengthwise down the split. You can now hold the brass tube securely without crushing it. If you want you could put a stop in it, and a cutting guide at the length you want to get consistent sized rings.
If you find the tube is not held tightly enough just a few thou sanded off one face of the soft jaw will firm it up

Cheers Phil

I need to make up some accurately sized rings (same length & bur free I.D.) sliced from 1/8" I.D. brass tubing. What method will result in the best / most consistent way of producing them? I've read of freezing water inside the tubing to help prevent distorting it in the cutting process, but haven't tried it yet. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Carroll Johnson, (E. Tinker)

I suggest using low temp fixtureing alloy. The material I am thinking of is Cerrosafe or Cerrobend (SP?), originally made by Cerro but now by others. The melting point is very low and it is reusable. Google will help here.

I just googled Cerro & found another source that gives excellent detailed info on using their products to bend tubing. Detailed process directions are given & seem to fit your application perfectly.

Last edited:
Back