DVFC's - Awesome!

W6PUG

Active User
Registered
I have an old Hauser 2BA jig borer and a Aciera F2 mill (and a couple of mini lathes) - Hauser is 60Hz 3ph and the Aciera is 3ph 50Hz ... tried static inverters (not full power rating) and rotary converters (noisy and expensive) ... then a friend tipped me to the DVFC (digitial variable freq converter) - absolutely awesome! I found a supplier on the web that sells the Teco FM50-203-C for 184USD, and they work so well and are so affordable that I have one for each machine. My house was not really set up for a shop, but I do have a 240VAC panel in garage - these little units make it possible for me to make chips and enjoy it. If you have power issues, you might give these a try ... they saved me an awful lot of grief! Take care and Happy Holidays, Folks!
mills.jpg

mills.jpg

And I forgot to mention: I got started down this path trying to figger out how to get from single phase 240vac to 3 phase - sorry ... should have mentioned that first. If anyone needs the link to the supplier I used, let me know (ddjohnson@cox.net) ... they were excellent in service and advice.

Didn't have time to look-up the product you mentioned but, it seems you're talking about what many call a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive).

Yep, I like e'm a lot! Price has dropped considerably this last year and can be found on eBay in the $120 (USC) range. My first one set me back 250 for a 1hp single to 3phase converter.

If anyone is on the market for one, do your homework and look up the specs to make sure it's not fixed at higher voltages like 440 and above. I came one button-press away from ordering the wrong thing once.

Ray

Yeah, Ray. Same as VFDs. I use the FM-50 and I love it. You're right, W6. Great way to go.

Back