[Source] Durable Paint for SBL 13

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My dear wife who painted whole house interior after he paid a sub-contractor 750 to do one room and she was disappointed. This was whem she managed the house renovation all on her own. She asked the contractor to show her how to paint, and she took off from there and finished the painting. She actually did a great job.

These last few months she embarked into re-painting all the outdoor wrought iron pieces and finished them all.

Over breakfast this morning she asked if I want the SBL 13 painted. What am going to say .... Thank you and I would love it, was the right answer. I told her color of her choosing. I may end up with a pink lathe, we'll see. I gave her my word so I will stick to it, just like when she asked if she could manage the house renovation without me interfering, told her yes, and I kept my word. She did very well and there were no fights though she blew her budget big time.

So, here I am I need to find what paint and source for most durable paint that could withstand the oil and chemicals?

Last edited:
i don't know if is appropriate for machine tools, but Sherwin Williams has a Pro Industrial line of products that are used regularly in my industry.
one product that may be worthy of investigation is the Water Based Catalyzed Epoxy or possibly the Water Based Alkyd may also be suitable
they are pricey

Some nice auto paints use to withstand stuff, But do not know any more and would not be very good for brushing. Hamerite used to make some nice paints that were resistant to almost anything once set and cured. But have not seen them in a long time. Some two part paints that use a catalyst, will stand up to a lot, but have to be done in small batches if going to brush them on, Again have not had to use any of these in a while. My wife it would be yellow, or purple, and the yellow she like is almost florescent yellow. Good luck.

I haven't found a reason to graduate above rustoleum professional. I'm sure someone will say there is better stuff (and there is) but I haven't needed it. At work we use International marine paint for our subsea saws and it's super awesome. 2 part epoxy compound that stands it ground against all types of abuse. But do you need to paint a lathe with it? I think not. Seems a bit excessive.

I agree with strantor, no reason to graduate above Rustoleum professional. My color is Rustoleum Smoke Gray. Take about one and a half quarts to paint her. Get a quart of Rustoleum primer for rusty metal to apply first. Lowes and Home Depot both carry it, too. Go to Horror Freight and get you a box of 1" and 2" wide paint brushes and toss each brush when done painting. Unless you like cleaning brushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Rustoleum Professional on my Clausing DP rebuild.
Seemed to go well.
I thinned it which required multiple coats. However, unlike your wife I'm a poor painter and the thinned paint prevented runs.
Resulted in lots of thin coats.

Daryl
MN

Rustoleum reduced with enamel reducer and hardener.use it on all my power equip and boats both aluminum and fiberglass takes a while to dry but tough as nails.cheaper than automotive finishes,but good enough for "old junk"

Looks like Rustoleum Pro it is. And yes to the boxes of HF 1 and 2 inch paint brushes.

Thank you all

Last edited:
Back