Dumb newbie question

Appreciate the input guys! Sounds like I'll look for another viable option. I may have found one place where I can buy my saw plate and a slitted back for it at the same time.

Some of you were concerned about the safety of this operation and rightfully so, however after coming close to losing a couple fingers when I was 18, some 30 years ago, I have been very very safety conscious ever since and haven't had a serious injury since. (KNOCKING ON WOOD NOW:bitingnails:) As far as my current equipment in my shop, aside from my Logan lathe, I have a fairly well stocked woodshop. There aren't many tools that I don't have, such as table saw, router table, shaper, jointer, band saw, drill press(s), planer, the list goes on. When I first got into woodworking I was convinced that you couldn't do any of it without all this stuff. Well the past few years I have seen the light where old school hand tools are concerned and I'm amazed at how much I'm learning with them. In fact just the other day I was finally able to get my irons sharp enough to pull shavings off curly maple that were .0005-.001 thick with no tear out with my 110 year old hand planes. And the best part...no noise and no dust.

I'm thinking that George ought to provide some insight here, being the toolmaker he is and having made many saws. He probably hasn't seen this thread yet.

Back