[How do I?] Drum Switch Wiring Done, Help Switching Dual Voltage Motor To 115v (1 Phase)

So I just sketched out the wiring according to the switch cover and as far as I can tell it looks like it should work.

Success! I have wired the switch according to the split phase, split capacitor, capacitor start diagram in post #3. Hot from the wall connects to L1 and neutral is connected to L2 in the motor. Then L2 is brought to the switch via the blue 16 gauge wire on L2.
IMG_20170108_223605.jpg
IMG_20170108_232233.jpg
IMG_20170108_232253.jpg IMG_20170108_232302.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!

Actually my cat did all the work, I just helped keep her paws on the keys, but you're welcome. :cool 2:
MS
I was going to mention, using green wire for current carrying wires is not good practice- should be for grounding only. You should in fact, have a separate ground for the unit in addition to the one in the power cord to be totally safe. I also noticed you've got the incoming neutral and hot line reversed from the way I was going to suggest, but either way works. I would prefer to have the hot line opened when the switch is off.
Have fun with your mill...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! On grounding the motor, would grounding the frame to a nearby mounting bolt on the mill be acceptable?

Yeah, after wiring everything up I did realize using green for neutral was not ideal. Since this is my machine only I can live with it.

I'm not sure I follow about the hot being live to the motor though. Hot comes up from the wall through the black wire and connects to position 5 on the switch and is open until the switch is thrown in either direction. Neutral from the wall comes up into the switch with the white wire and is directly connected via a butt-connector to the green wire and then to L2 on the motor. L2 is brought back to the switch via the blue wire for reversing and is connected to position 2 on the switch.

Hmmm maybe I'm mistaken about the hot wire- I'll look at it again- you've got the idea though.
For the grounding, yes there should be a wire from the motor to the mill but also a dedicated wire from the mill to a water pipe or similar ground.
Mark S.

Back