Dro's On Budget For Mill

I am pretty electrically challenged, but have always pondered building my own. Any chance of a tutorial, there, Great white? :)

I'm about to pull the trigger also. And budgetary limitations are my priority.
I'm going to go with Yuriy's TouchDRO on a 10" HP Tablet and Ditron glass scales for 3-axis.

Currently Ditrons in the sizes that I need for my BP are coming in cheaper than iGaging Absolute scales.
dc10-300 (12.80"T/17.83"OAL) - Y
dc10-400 (16.73"T/21.06"OAL) - X
dc10-900 (36.42"T/40.76"OAL) - Z

I also want to add a tachometer also, and I've got a feeling that's a whole other story.
I'm going to do scales first and attempt a tach after that.
I'm also planning on doing a blow-by-blow log of this project.
After I get the Mill done, I'll shoot for doing up the Birmingham.

Another thing I had a thought of a few years ago was to use cheap 12" digital calipers and mount one to the Y axis, and make a kind of floating holder for the X. Don't do much of anything needing much more than 6-8" normally.

I imagine that I'll get around to some kind of DRO sooner or later, but right now I'm in no rush. I use dial indicators on my lathes and mills and they've worked just fine for what I've been doing.

The electronics aren't too hard either.

I have purchased two of these from alliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...xis-digital-readout-and-3-pcs/1556577283.html
They are 1u scales as described, the picture is wrong.
Both of mine where ordered on a Sunday and arrived on Monday a week later.

No problems with either of my kits. The seller also sells the more expensive brands such as Sino and Easson. Supposedly the seller also speaks fluent English, dunno, I haven't had cause to talk to him.

EDIT:
If you decide to go the Igaging route, check the specs first
http://www.igaging.com/page44.html
I almost pulled the trigger on their scales for use with the TouchDro system until I saw how bad the specs where.

Magnetic scales are also available and are allegedly better than the glass scales. I have no experience with them.

I've been told the opposite, but it probably depends on what people consider better. As they have different profiles, accuracy, & work environment constraints.

Guys that have the 2 axis,any regrets vs 3axis?If you had a do over,would you go with the 3 axis? Aliexpress sure would be at the top of my budget,but if Alloy wasn't having problems I would jump on it.Maybe its just the seller that's the problem for warranty,but went to TAPCO Tools looks like they sell the same thing

What I did was to write to aliexpress and asked for a digital manual to go over b4 purchasing, this was to see if they will communicate with you. got a response and manual in a few hours, for me all went smooth no complaints. For the X axis I got the 1um scales for the extra $18. at the same time I purchased a insert threading tool with insert for about $9.50 shipped.

Could ya'll explain 1um scale,this is all new to me.What does this do for ya,what's the other choice?

Back