DRO!!

That would require even more accuracy, since if your registering 1 thou now, you need to regisiter .5 thou ..
So it would be more expensive, and more accurate. I had one and decided to scrap it. I put it on my WW planer. I made a set of dials that have 200 marks, so I am more accurate than b4 with small dials on a SB 9".

Thanks for that, and yes, I have the larger dials on my sb9, but the dro's are so much nicer, even if I have to calculate it.....it just would be nice to find one that had that feature.

Most DRO systems that have a central multi-axis display unit have the capability to enter the cutter diameter and correct for it. Choices range from the inexpensive ShumaTech 350 and 550 kits to the highest of the high-end DROs. All of these do more than just display position, They have internal processors that allow various functions (such as tool size correction, finding the center when touching both ends of a workpiece, hole circle calculation, etc. etc. etc.)

Igaging's Accuremote and Absolute DROs (which have a separate display for each axis) don't have any "smarts," but they're the least expensive DRO option. And even so, they have the wonderful characteristic of immunity from backlash. Unlike dials, the number displayed represents the actual position of the table/tool regardless of which way you're cranking.

Browse through the DRO oriented threads here on the forum, and you'll find links to several vendors. Ebay has lots of Chinese DRO systems (not to expensive). DRO Pros and other US sources are known for good service, support and high quality systems. Yes, there are bargains to be had, but as always, you generally get what you pay for.
kHPIM3198.jpg

What I did to cover my slides up was pull a old tube sock of mine over it. Stretched it out and it covers it 360 deg. Used nylon tie strips to fasten it on. Works great and keeps it clean.

Ok, so the DRO doesn't automatically deduct the correct amount?

In other words, if you move .001" on the DRO, it actually takes .002" off the material, correct?

Reason why I'm asking is I'd love to find one of these small DRO's that has that calculation built in.

Thanks for your time!
Dave
Dave, Take a look at Yuriy's TouchDRO readout for iGaging scales. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/touchdro-now-supports-igaging-absolute-scales.40734/
It can be set up to read the X scale as a diameter. The basic resolution on the iGaging scales is .01mm or .0004". As a diameter, this would be .0008".

I don't know about iGaging but I have one of those cheap readers also. Mine looks like a digital calipers on a wire. Anyways they work ok but not as accurate as a regular digital readout. I mean if .002-.003 inaccuracy is no big deal for you, then they are fine. And I cannot easily use it on my cross feed. (mounting is easy) But you want it to read twice the amount of movement of the tool bit. You want it to read Radius. Mine won't do that. If I want to take off .040 (off diameter)I have to only put .020 on the readout. I believe most of those cheap readouts are the same, but I could be wrong.

Dave, Take a look at Yuriy's TouchDRO readout for iGaging scales. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/touchdro-now-supports-igaging-absolute-scales.40734/
It can be set up to read the X scale as a diameter. The basic resolution on the iGaging scales is .01mm or .0004". As a diameter, this would be .0008".

Thank you, RJ, and yes, very familiar with Yuri as well as I'm s-l-o-w-l-y building one for my mill. I was just hoping to find out if there was indeed a small scale type with integral DRO as I have them setup on my lathe already. I will definitely be building another for the lathe so maybe this will kick me in the butt to do so!!

I don't know about iGaging but I have one of those cheap readers also. Mine looks like a digital calipers on a wire. Anyways they work ok but not as accurate as a regular digital readout. I mean if .002-.003 inaccuracy is no big deal for you, then they are fine. And I cannot easily use it on my cross feed. (mounting is easy) But you want it to read twice the amount of movement of the tool bit. You want it to read Radius. Mine won't do that. If I want to take off .040 (off diameter)I have to only put .020 on the readout. I believe most of those cheap readouts are the same, but I could be wrong.

You are absolutely correct, and that's why I was hoping that someone may have seen a "lathe" version that I may not have found yet.

Back