Dro Z Axis - Quill Or Head?

I started with a digital quill scale and then added a 2 axis DRO for the X and Y. The DRO display was a 3 axis and I wanted the Z axis on the same display so I removed the first scale and added a DRO scale. I only move the head for tool clearance so having the DRO on the quill made sense to me.installed1.jpg z-axis dro.JPG

Reading through this thread, I wondered about 3 to 5 stage adjustable positive stop for the head, sorta like was done with a lathe, mount it at the bottom of the head travel, with swing-into-position stops each with a knurled thread adjustment. They could be preset for different tools, if you remembered to set them. Once m PM45 gets here I'll look into it more seriously.

Reading through this thread, I wondered about 3 to 5 stage adjustable positive stop for the head, sorta like was done with a lathe, mount it at the bottom of the head travel, with swing-into-position stops each with a knurled thread adjustment. They could be preset for different tools, if you remembered to set them. Once m PM45 gets here I'll look into it more seriously.

That's a good idea that I didn't think of when making my depth stop. My Burgmaster turrett drill press has that feature. Although I do make multiples of parts here & there, my quick adjust depth stop that I made for my PM-45 has been more than adequate for me. I'm very happy with it, I can definitely live without a multiple depth stop. Would be cool to see if someone decides to come up with one. ;)

Img_5130.jpg

One thing to consider regarding the mounting of the quill linear scale DRO. Basically there are 2 ways to mount it, with the display/read head fixed or with the scale fixed. I choose & prefer to have the display fixed rather than the display dynamic. With head mounted to the faceplate & the scale being dynamic, the head stays stationary when moving the quill up & down. I didn't like the idea of the display moving up & down when the quill is moved. Also less parts to make having the scale mounted directly to the quill, in fact I only had to make one part which was the mount for the scale to the quill bracket. Regardless, either way works perfectly fine.

Img_5135.jpg

Img_5137.jpg

Img_5140.jpg

Back