DRO Step X

Ralphxyz

Registered
Registered
Clausing 8520 Vertical Mill

X table

Finally reassembled my mill after getting it last year and tearing it down to fix a non problem.
Thought I mount the iGaging DRO I also bought last year.

Of course I really need to be working on my workshop, that has been a two year project and I am "almost" at
a semi finished stage.

I have tried to find any/all articles on installing DRO on the Clausing 8520 mill and have found a few.

One poster claimed to have fully implemented DRO on three axis in about six hours.

Well let me tell you I am probable on my sixth day and finally have a almost working X axis DRO.

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

I had tried different configurations, most of which were disasters trying to match examples I have seen on the web.

So then decided to stop and think this through a little better.

I needed to mount the DRO mechanism and I needed to cover it up to protect it from swarf and oil etc.

Just happened to have some 3" Aluminium Channel so that is what you see in the last picture.

Essentially it extends my table by three inches, that might help to support a workpiece.

Oh I should have said right at the the start I really have no idea what I am doing, I mean as far as machine shop operation or working around machines. I flunked out of Machine Shop II over fifty years ago but I have always wanted a machine shop.

One thing I have "discovered" about installing a DRO that I have never seen mentioned is that the capacitive transducers mounting has to be flat with no torque to the travel bar. At the moment when I tighten up the capacitive transducers stationary holder it torques and puts pressure on the travel bar this really upsets the readout.

The holder is just a thin piece of aluminium angle, which got bent while drilling and I straightened out in a vice. I will post more pictures of the assemble.

Tomorrow I will replace the thin holder with some heavier angle.

Thanks for you comments.

Ralph

You will have one solid DRO when you're finished!

You seem to have a good grasp of what needs to be done. I find it fun to puzzle out an answer that I need and at times remind my self to not necessarily follow the beaten path. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks for the replies, I really like the way the 3" channel covers up the DRO, I will "try" to incorporate that into the other axis.

I really like the Aluminum channel you used for the DRO, the location is also well thought out , I'm sure all the work you have put into it will be worth it at the end, so far it looks well done.

I have also been tackling the X axis DRO on my mill but mine is a small MLS mini mill:) none the less the time it takes to do it right is probably just as long , I spent 4-5 hours yesterday to cut a protective Aluminum angle and to install the EZ-View DRO onto the angle ,then Today I spent another 4 hours to attach the angle with the dro to the back of the table, the bracket I used for attaching the digital reader to the table was a 1/8" piece of aluminum flat bar that is stiffer than the flimsy black bracket that came with the kit, I figured the thicker the bracket, the easier it would be to slide the reader.
I think we both decided to do the hardest part of the dro installation (the X axis) ,first.lol. the other two axes should be a bit easier.
Best of luck.

Hi Ralph,
I've installed quite a few DROs and something I'd recommend is running a dial indicator against the scales, both vertically and horizontally, to reduce the deviation (put the indicator base on whatever will have the read head), I usually aim for 0.000 but within a few thou" will be close enough, and leave the plastic spacer in place until you bolt the read head into place to ensure the right spacing.
If getting the scales parallel with travel is a problem, I've always mounted them to small (2" square) plates with grubscrews at the corners to jack them square opposing the fixing bolts.
Hope that helps (and isn't too late!)

Dave H. (the other one)

Touchy job. I've installed a couple of them. looks like you're on the right track to me. Shimming the pickup may be necessary, but avoid it if you can.

Back