DRO scale size for PM-728VT

freethink

Registered
Registered
I finally pulled the trigger on my first mill, the PM-728VT. I'm very excited to start making chips!

I decided to go the inexpensive self-install DRO route, but I'm not sure what size scales I need to get (haven't received the mill yet, and wanted to have DRO waiting when mill arrives). Does anyone happen to know what scale sizes are needed for this machine? Based on travel specs, I was estimating 750mm (X), 200mm (Y), and 450mm (Z). Any recommendations for specific DROs? Lot's of inexpensive choices on ebay, but not sure if there's much difference between the various choices.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

When I ordered mine from Amazon for my PM-25MV, it stated that you had to email the seller for the sizes. I just emailed them the link to the PM website, and they cut all 3 scales to length according to the speccs.

When I ordered mine from Amazon for my PM-25MV, it stated that you had to email the seller for the sizes. I just emailed them the link to the PM website, and they cut all 3 scales to length according to the speccs.
Interesting. Do you happen to remember the brand/model and cost on that? Most of the sellers I've seen on Amazon and ebay have pre-cut sizes available in 50mm increments. I was hoping to not have to deal with cutting glass scales, but I might have to in order to get a perfect fit.

I thought I'd update this thread in case someone else is looking for info on installing an ebay special DRO on their PM728VT. I ended up going with 500mm for X axis, and 250mm for Y axis. Haven't gotten the Z axis scale yet as I'm waiting to finish my power Z lift mod first. The pre-drilled holes from the factory for both X and Y were around .100" too long for the scales I got, so I ended up drilling/tapping new holes that were offset around .250" from the originals. This offset was actually good on the X axis as I now have more room to use the table drain plug if I ever need it in the future, and the scales are plenty long enough to not limit the travel because of this offset.

This is a bit of a thread resurrection. But for those who are curious about scale size, this is what I ordered and installed. It cost 184 bucks and included shipping with the cost. The brackets which come with these kits are largely useless, and you will likely have to fabricate your own brackets to do it right.

eBay DRO 184 bucks.jpg

Thanks for adding that, plenty of people will benefit. It is a popular mill and there will be a steady flow of people installing DRO wanting to save a bunch of hundred dollar bills. Please update if you discover anything after some steady use.

I think the bracket kit from PM is worth every bit of $70. Makes install easy and, well, fun

Thanks for adding that, plenty of people will benefit. It is a popular mill and there will be a steady flow of people installing DRO wanting to save a bunch of hundred dollar bills. Please update if you discover anything after some steady use.

I think the bracket kit from PM is worth every bit of $70. Makes install easy and, well, fun
I was unable to find the bracket kit you mentioned. Perhaps you could give a link to it? This would make this thread a better resource.

Back