DRO Scale mounting question

BWS Arms

Registered
Registered
My 16x60 lathe has two casting protrusions on the back of the bed. I know the DRO kit I purchased from DRO Pros has some stand offs included in the mounting hardware. Is that enough to mount the magnetic scale to? Is the scale stiff enough to not need full length support on the back side of the scale?

The aluminum support for the magnetic tape should probably be supported at least in the center, it will most likely oscillate/vibrate when turning. If you cannot support it in the center than I would mount it to metal rectangular bar stock anchored at either end. That is how I mounted the Y and Z scale axis on my mill which uses the DRO Pros magnetic scales.

1699256102487.jpeg

I guess I will need to order a piece of 6061 aluminum bar stock to mount the scale to.

@BWS Arms You might consider getting angle iron or aluminum. You mount the angle at about 6-10" increments, and indicate the inner face. It protects the scales from swarf, coolant and oil. There's a bunch of ways to get the same result. A consideration before you commit to a plan...

Back