DRO Project for Taig Lathe

Excellent work! I have been really thinking about the arduino/bluetooth route, but don't have a spare tablet or phone to use as the display.

I'm a bit envious, as the digital calipers I have mounted on my lathe work well, but can be a bit of a pain to read at times. They don't really appreciate being spattered in cutting fluids, either. But, they're inexpensive enough that I don't have to worry too much about them.

Do you have/use the milling attachment for the lathe? I used to use mine frequently, but it was relegated to very occasional use once I got a horizontal mill. I never bothered mounting a caliper to it, I just use a DI.

Aren't microcontrollers fun? :))

Ogberi, yes! Lots of fun!

I do have the milling attachment, but once I bought a mill, I found that it served me better in some other capacity. So I converted it to a compound slide.

Already having the tablet made this a no brainer project...I'm not sure if I would have gone this far with it if I didn't own one. The remote readouts that come with the iGaging scales are about twice the size of what you will find on a digital caliper, and they can be set away from the chip/splash zone. If the chips pile up too much on the cross slide reader, I may make a guard for it. I don't anticipate any issues with the carriage reader since it is tucked nicely under the bed. Also, I will probably run some of the steel brackets through our nickel plating line to dress it up and prevent any corrosion issues.

Back