DRO help

lp08ss

Registered
Registered
Hey guys we have a clausing manual lathe at work with an accu-rite dro installed maybe a couple years ago. Well recently the the x axis read out was sticking until you ran it to the end of the axis and then it would seem to free itself and begin displaying again, but today that method has seemed to stop working. My foreman thinks the glass scale may have been broken but my personal hunch is that cutting oil has gotten in and gummed it up, so my question is, is does anyone know if contact cleaner would be safe to spray inside of the scale to see if that won't do the trick before we go spending money on a new scale or to have someone look at it ? Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yup, most likely just dirty.

Electrical contact cleaner (the type without lubricant) should be safe but I've never tried it so don't hold me resposible if anything were to happen.

Best thing to do is remove the scale from the machine. Clean with isopropyl or denatured alcohol, much cheaper. Having the scale removed from the machine will allow you to clean it better & get any chips or debris out of it as well.

Hahaha no worries, ok thanks I'll give that a shot, we have plenty of denatured alcohol on hand, thanks for the help !

Hahaha no worries, ok thanks I'll give that a shot, we have plenty of denatured alcohol on hand, thanks for the help !

No problem, please let us know the outcome. One thing I forgot to mention is, if you take the scale off, when you put it back on, you will have to reindicate it true with the axis so the read head doesn't bind If that happens you can either damage the reader or there will be an area where it won't read. Much more troublesome than just simply spraying it with contact cleaner but it's worth doing it right the first time.

I will for sure keep everyone posted!

I would use contact cleaner first it's just as safe or safer than alcohol if you use the good stuff I use CRC on almost everything just make sure you give it plenty of time to evaporate if you got the alcohol route I would use isopropyl (the 91% not the 70% red bottle not the blue) that's also safe to use on electrical components.

Back