Dro For Mill

funny I don't remember ordering a boomerang.

My DRO arrived yesterday and got the Y axis scale on. Installed X scale and got it all dialed in and hooked up the DRO and the X scale is dead. I can swap Y and X and the readout works, so bad scale. No matter how I move it the position readout doesn't change.

I just emailed the seller but even if he ships tomorrow I won't have it before the end of my vacation. It took 1 week before DHL picked up the original shipment after I ordered it, and 5 days to get here after that.

I need to make mounts for the Z scale and was going to use the new mill to do that instead of the Bridgeport. So now I don't know if I should go ahead and make the Z scale mounts or not, depends on what the seller is going to do.

This sure messes up my plan to get the mill finished and moved into position and put the Bridgeport up for sale :frown:
I know this is a bit old, but it may help other people as well. I just received one of these kits for my lathe and my Z axis scale was dead as well. I figured it was already dead so I'd try and "fix" it. Pulled the end cap off and slid the read head off the glass scale. Removed the little circuit card that's screwed to the head and cleaned the emitters and receivers with a Q-tip. Put it together and it's working wonderfully now.

Also for anyone looking to put one of these on a lathe. The way to switch it to diameter mode is to double the scale value for that axis. Manual is useless and has nothing about that. I randomly stumbled upon it.

Has anyone had any problems getting the radius functions to work? I keep getting an error on my screen after I enter all the values into the controller.

6 months ago I fitted some Chinese 3 axis dro's to my mill they cost £265 delivered. 5 micron scales choose your scale length up to 1 metre.
Arrived safe extensive fitting kit, instructions written in a language not spoken on this planet, or any in our solar system, far more accurate then
anything I have to measure with, loads of functions like pcd coordinates and stuff! The scales look identical to the photos above.

I went with the Dro Pros EL400 2 axis on my lathe and 3 axis on my mill. These use magnetic scales and are made in India. The smallest/thinness scales of any DRO and the scales can be easily cut to length. One word of warning, if you are mounting the X scale to the mill table that's fine, but these scales are far too flexible to mount directly to the cast knee, base, or column of a mill. Its doubtful those surfaces will be flat and the least little bit out of flat will twist/bow these scales. Pay no attention to the instructions blabbering about grub screws and blah blah just purchase a length of aluminum bar and mount the scale on that, then mount that to the mill way easier.
Yup they are good and so is customer service. I've got 'em on lathes and a mill Very happy with 'em.

Back