Drill Rod In Western Canada

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
Anyone know where to get drill rod in BC, other than Acklands Grainger.

I checked the prices at McMaster Carr in the US and a 3' length of 3/4" sells for $19. The same thing at Acklands is $61 :eek:. That's crazy!!!!! Got to be somewhere else with better prices.

Metal Supermarkets has it, can't remember what I paid but they tend to be expensive anyway.
Have a look at KBC Tools in Vancouver, they should have it in their shop supplies or similar section. I find their shipping reasonable as well as prices.

-frank

Edit: I may have mispoken, wasn't paying close enough attention to your size. Metal Supermarkets anything half inch and over is 4140.

Last edited:
KBC has 3/4" oil hardening on Sale right now for just over $27 a length.

-frank

Metal Supermarkets has it, can't remember what I paid but they tend to be expensive anyway.
Have a look at KBC Tools in Vancouver, they should have it in their shop supplies or similar section. I find their shipping reasonable as well as prices.

-frank

Edit: I may have mispoken, wasn't paying close enough attention to your size. Metal Supermarkets anything half inch and over is 4140.

I use a metal supermarket franchise in the uk, its quite frustraiting with priceing i find as they base it on quantity. So small amounts always seem quite expensive.

On the plus side they are very friendly and helpfull and their off cuts pile is normally very cheep :)

Stuart

Ps , sorry that wasnt very helpfull with drill rod info.

KBC has 3/4" oil hardening on Sale right now for just over $27 a length.

-frank

Thanks Frank,

After reading your first post I checked KBC and their prices are waaaaay better. Now I just need to check on shipping.

John

I don't know if you have a Fastenal store near you. That's where I bought my last stick of drill rod from. They keep a randon of sizes on hand at my store.

I don't know if you have a Fastenal store near you. That's where I bought my last stick of drill rod from. They keep a randon of sizes on hand at my store.

Thanks for the tip but I checked the Fastenal site and they do not service residential customers as of Jan 1 2015.

Thanks for the tip but I checked the Fastenal site and they do not service residential customers as of Jan 1 2015.
Really? Make up a fictitious company name. That means they won't sell to you if you walk in from the street? If you work for a company, use their name and pay cash.

I should clarify; that is only in Canada. In any case the only store I can find is on the other side of the country.

Yeah, I don't understand Fastenal here in Canada. The store here in Edmonton has a guy standing in it, doing nothing, and there's a bunch of stuff sitting out, but unless you have an account with them, it's get lost.

And Acklands Grainger is like MSC in the US. If the company you work for is large and has an account with them, they give the company a discount that makes the price semi-reasonable. But for a regular person, the price is ridiculous. An IR SS5L5 air compressor at princessauto was $1500 (12 or 13 on sale), AG has it for 3073.49. I suppose this keeps most of the riff-raff out of the store.

Back