Drill bits

A big set or something general? I don't have anything on the bigger sets but for occasional use in general sizes, the Milwaukee sets are pretty good. I've used the same set for my general tool box use for years.
For my machining, I have a mastercraft set of hss. There's like 10 bits in each size. I either throw the dull ones away or sharpen them. Does what I need it to do on the lathe and drill press.

For tapping and general work, I would suggest you buy wire size (#1-60) first, then fractional, then letter size drills. While more expensive than jobber drills, screw machine drills are stiffer and tend to be more accurate. As for brands, there are many. To name a few, Precision Twist Drill, Chicago Latrobe, Cleveland, Triumph, Titex, Guhring, Dormer are all very good. Makita produced a 1/16" to 3/8" set that is amongst the best I've ever seen, and I've used a lot of drills in my time. I haven't seen them for sale for a very long time, though.

Best bet - cruise ebay and watch for sets at a fair price. Any set from the above list will serve you well.

Consider buying just the sizes you need instead of sets. Many of the number and letter sizes are not commonly used.

Norseman and Viking are also very good and made in the once great state of MN. My first set was screw machine length but quickly added a jobber length as the short length has its limitations.

Thinking of a set of these to replace my larger bits that are pretty old and beat up, many of them are old hand-me-downs of unknown origin.
Silver & Demming, these will be for use in my mill
Are they really worth the price?

1708100415113.png

Back