Drill bits from Grizzly

tkollen

Registered
Registered
I have been shopping around for a good complete set of UNC/UNF (1/64" to 1/2", 1-60, A-Z) drill bits and recently came across this 115 pcs HSS set from Grizzly with TiN coating. Until now I have bought high quality, US or German made, HSS/TiN drill bits from Grainger in a piecemeal fashion and always paid several dollars per piece. Here Grizzly seems to offer the same thing at $54 for the set or ca. 50 cents/piece. The price is very appealing but I am afraid to buy any substandard Chinese quality drill bits.

Does anyone have any experience with these Grizzly drill bits? I would appreciate any advise you can give me.

Tom

I have purchased the same set from harbor freight with good results but keep them from getting too hot and well lubed. now i bought their cobalt set it is a lot better for really not a lot more. what kills me is buying a replacement if i break one ouch!
steve

Be advised that these have a shallow angle and wide web and are going to walk every time if they don't have a great pilot hole.

They beat nothing but marginally. I bought a set since you can't really by a HUOT index/box for that. I simply use them when I have nothing better and buy a good bit to replace the ones I use, eventually you end up with a good index of the sizes you use, and still have drills that will be good for a couple holes if needed. I don't regret buying them.

Steve

Thanks guys. Your info made me decide to spend a little bit more and get a 115 pcs set with black oxide coating and index case from Republic Drill.

Be advised that these have a shallow angle and wide web and are going to walk every time if they don't have a great pilot hole.

Can you explain that a little more? how do I tell when looking at the drill tip?

Thanks, Mark

Can you explain that a little more? how do I tell when looking at the drill tip?

Thanks, Mark

The web is the part of the drill where the two flutes meet. It forms the point on the drill bit. If this isn't thinned, it walks rather than bites in. The shallow angle (probably 115*, not the usual 135*) compounds the problem. You only get what you pay for, if you're lucky.

I have owned thte HF cobolt set for several years. My set has split points and have given good service, especially with steel. I have had no trouble with the bits walking. I always use a pilot drill and use the bits in my mills with an accurate chuck. I will use these drills before the high speed American ones I have.

I bought the tin coated set last year primarily to use as spares. They appear to be reasonable quality especially at the price.

I would recomment the Hf Cobolt set for home shop use.

Joe

I have had better luck buying American made at yard sales and flea markets and resharpening them than brand new Chinese bits. Don't get me wrong, I have H/F bits also. The nice Dewalt bits I bought at Lowes are soft also.

bedwards

I bought the Grizzly 115 piece set also. I also bought a Drill Doctor which I found was needed with these bits for first time use. I found some of the bit points ground off to one side and not very sharp. A trip through the Drill Doctor and they were ready for action. I did break one or two while drilling in cast iron easier then I thought it should have but all in all there are a good starter set. I plan on buying a better bit to replace them one at a time as needed as was said earlier.

Bottom line I would recomend buying them but sharping before using the first time.

Back