drill bit sharpening without drill bit grinder

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Is there anyone who can advise me on how to grind a drillbit at a certain angle for example 30deg. precisely if you don't have a drill sharpening machine?

Is it adjustable? I cant make out if it is. I will have to find out from my tooling suppliers here in SA if they have it.

There is a ton of videos on you tube on how to grind drills freehand.
Jimsehr

You may be able to make gages similar to the one shown from sheet metal using a protractor and file.
What little I've done is get the angle as close as you can then move the bit straight down in a curving motion.
There is a tool made by General Tool that works pretty well. It works on the side of a grinding wheel and is adjustable. Videos on you tube have been mentioned while I was looking for a vendor of the sharpening tool, a really good suggestion.
Have a good day
Ray

Thank you Ray and all you guys. This forum is a good thing for all who loves making chips and machines and everything that goes with it.

Have a great one.

When you say “precisely”. Just how precise do you want it? A fixture or dedicated machine might be better?

Just +- so that two parts can taper into each other to tighten like a homemade collet and nut.

That style is not adjustable it is cut at e.g., 118 deg included angle. It is a guide so as you grind the edge you keep checking to see if you have got the correct angle. You look for the edge to have no gaps. If you see a gap, need to grind more off the other end.

One example of a video, Toms Techniques channel.

hand sharpen drill bits

I think I know what you are trying to accomplish. When I needed to make the seat for my small collet chuck, I hand ground a bit to do it. I took a bit and ground the desired angle on one side. I then made a cardboard gage for that angle. I then ground the other side (at the same angle , checking often with the gage I made) until BOTH sides were the same length along the cutting face.

Back