Dream Machines?

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've decided to take an early retirement in a few years and am planning to hang a shingle up for part-time gunsmithing, and other small work that comes around. I shoot USPSA matches so most gun work is 1911 style pistols and AR-15 rifles. No hunting rifles, bench rest, or BMGs.

I need accurate, yet decent sized machines, that will never take a .1" DOC (lathe) or bury a 3/4" end mill in steel on a mill. NO production work on these machines.

So I'm thinking of PM's new 935VS knee mill and a 1340GT with the variable speed option, and am interested in hearing from people who own these machines. Interested in capability, quality, accuracy, etc. Or anything else about these machines.

Thanks,
Bill

PM RayC, he can give you all the info you require on PM machines.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill. I have (and still) talk to Ray all the time. I have the specs, was more interested in the non-quantitative impressions of those who have used them. One person here has one coming, so I may have to wait until he gets his to hear his impressions on fit/finish/quality. :)

Bill

I want the 1440HD... The Taiwanese units do have nice fit & finish but, I do good work with my Chinese 1236 and all the errors I encounter are attributable to the idiot operating it (oops, that would be me).

For gunsmith work, the HD would be overkill (unless you're making Howitzers) and the 1340 GT has a manageable size gearbox where you won't need an internal bushing/spider. You also stand a chance of moving the 1340 if need be. The HD is 1.5 tons.

Matt also carries 1440TS lathes (Taiwanese) that aren't shown on the website. These are great machines and we call them the "RML" killers.

All of this stuff is a little out of the hobby realm...

Ray

I've really only just begun to use my 935 (step pulley/VFD), but boy it's really nice so far. Tramming a Bridgeport style head is so much less frustrating than using shims to tram my former bench mill that I want to do a happy-dance every time I think of it (never mind how much more rigid it feels...)
I haven't done much yet, but I did start squaring up stock for my Harold Hall boring head last night. I should be engaging in heavier metal removal this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

-Ryan

I too like the fact that you can tram a 935 without shims. Looking forward to that.

Ray: The major reason I'm not buying these machines right now is because when I do, I do not ever want to move them again. So, I need to wait a bit until I can get out of this high-tech biz and on to better things. :))

Regarding the size/weight issue: When I get closer to buying these things I'll look at having them drop shipped to a rigger and have them deliver and setup.

I was a little concerned about the open transmission on the 1340GT as I'd rather have those gears running in oil, but I guess you just grease them up and leave it at that?

Bill

I too like the fact that you can tram a 935 without shims. Looking forward to that.

Ray: The major reason I'm not buying these machines right now is because when I do, I do not ever want to move them again. So, I need to wait a bit until I can get out of this high-tech biz and on to better things. :))

Regarding the size/weight issue: When I get closer to buying these things I'll look at having them drop shipped to a rigger and have them deliver and setup.

I was a little concerned about the open transmission on the 1340GT as I'd rather have those gears running in oil, but I guess you just grease them up and leave it at that?

Bill

Yes, I just use grease... There are all kinds of miracle products out there and I've tried a few... Grease works better. Just have to wipe them down once in a while and regrease them.

Ray

I've really only just begun to use my 935 (step pulley/VFD), but boy it's really nice so far. Tramming a Bridgeport style head is so much less frustrating than using shims to tram my former bench mill that I want to do a happy-dance every time I think of it (never mind how much more rigid it feels...)
I haven't done much yet, but I did start squaring up stock for my Harold Hall boring head last night. I should be engaging in heavier metal removal this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

-Ryan

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered my series of H.H. books and can't wait to see them in the mailbox.

Dale

...that aren't shown on the website...

Ray its a bit off topic but is there anyway you could help Matt on this? I have 2 websites for him and the Ebay store and its different stuff I find on all three. I liked the new Chinese 1640 "baby" lathe he posted on Ebay (its a lightweight narrow bed "cheap" 1640) but its gone now and nothing on the websites about it. Back to somewhat on topic I love the 1340GT........except its missing the foot brake option. A 1340GT with a foot brake and variable speed would be $12-15K in the MSC catalog I reckon.

I noticed the two different websites when I first searched for Precision Matthews and 'assumed' one was for hobby, the other for production duty machines. But in looking at the two websites, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Bill

Back