Drawbar

RV-N8ZG

Registered
Registered
My second-hand Jet BD-920W came with some MT3 collets, but no drawbar.
There is no brand label on the collets, only the internal diameter and thread (3/8-16, if memory serves.)

Any suggestions on making (an example?) or sourcing a drawbar?

Neal

Just make one to fit. It is not a critical job, and it can be made fancy or as simple as all thread with a nut pinned on it. Better steel makes for a nicer feel, more strength and a longer life. Anything that pulls the collet in tight will do the job.

Any suggestions on making (an example?) or sourcing a drawbar?

I recently turned a new drawbar for my milling machine. It's a simple job as shown on Steve S video (the only thing I'm not a fan of is drilling the center with the stock sticking out so much.) I used 1144 Stressproof steel to give the drawbar a bit more strength and hopefully make the threads last a little longer. It's been working fine for more than a month now.

I recently turned a new drawbar for my milling machine. It's a simple job as shown on Steve S video (the only thing I'm not a fan of is drilling the center with the stock sticking out so much.) I used 1144 Stressproof steel to give the drawbar a bit more strength and hopefully make the threads last a little longer. It's been working fine for more than a month now.

I couldn't help with the stickout, the hex stock did not fit into the spindle. It was close enough to center considering I was turning it down so much.

Some discussion on drawbars over here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/clausing-8520-drawbar.57063/

This is a DIY one for my 12x36 lathe. The spindle bore is 1.44'' so there is a HDPE sleeve that keeps the all thread entered in the bore. This helps tremendously to line up the drawbar in the collet. The outboard end of the spindle is threaded on the inside so the bushing is threaded to fit.

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

Pretty simple & straight forward to make your own drawbar if you have access to a lathe. I complicated mine a little bit by using a 2 nut design for various reasons. My stock bar was the same style but it's not needed. Post #22 http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-pm45m-pdf.9885/#post-83976

Here's a video by ThisOldTony. Nothing special, I watch TOT mainly for entertainment as I really like his style of videos but luckily his content is great too.

Back