• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Draftsight question

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Sleddog

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Something happened!
I did something & can't figure how to get it back.

I want to draw a triangle, using Ortho. Ortho is on & 15* is selected. I click on the screen, move curser down & right, push 3, enter. The line goes straight to the right. If I angle down & to the left push 3 enter the line goes straight left. If I don't enter any dimension, just click on the screen it draws the angled line.

What did I do?

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the command you just did. I tried it by selecting line command, put in 15*, enter, 3, enter, 3 enter, last connected the line with the first end point creating a right triangle. If you want a triangle with equal sides or equilateral triangle, select the polygon command, select the number of sides, then inscribe or subscribe, center of the polygon, last the distance from the center.

Now, if I want to draw a line at an angle, I select line command, do the @ sign along with the length of the line segment, then "<" and the angle in degrees.

Ken

Sleddog

In my search for an answer. I came across this video. He's drawing a triangle using the same method I normally use. Now, When I try doing what he does my lines are straight horizontal or vertical.

Look at about the 6 minute mark of this video.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
First thing you have to do is go under the "tools" drop down and go down to "options" click on "user preferences" then click on "display", then click on "polar guides", and at the right of "incremental angles---" set to 15 degrees or whatever angle you want in there. last, click on ok at the bottom of the menu and you are ready to use polar coordinates. When you click on "polar" at the bottom of the screen, it automatically takes you from "ortho" to "polar". now try it and see if that's works for you.

This is stuff I don't use and never have learned over the years. Draftsight is a little different from Autocad that I used to use. Been using Drafts sight for nearly 10 years now. And yet opened up a tutorial or any reference stuff. I have two seats of Draftsight Professional that I've bought in the past and failed to keep either one up to date. If I upgrade my computer next year, I'll probably buy a upgrade seat of Draftsight Professional then. I aso have a computer that belongs to one of my customers that has Solidworks on it. It's a whole different world to work in! I doubt I'll ever get proficient in using it, but I have to have it for the stuff I do for that particular customer.

I hope I was of help, if not, let me know and together we'll get it figured out.

Ken

Sleddog

I do have Polar guides set up as you suggest. I just went back to verify. I appreciate your help. It's not that big of a deal, I can work around it.

Jack

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
I'm with you, work around it. I do a lot of that. A lot of the stuff I do is repetitive and to try to do something out of my area of knowledge in Draftsight will throw me for a loop! And triangles, I don't ever recall drawing a triangle per say. I deal with circles, and lots of them, squares, and rectangles, and a few hexes and that's it.
Sorry I couldn't help much more that this. Ken

[6]
5 [7]