Dovetail cutter, it cuts ok, but I made it wrong.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
So I am curious, I didn't make the cutter correctly, I centered the landing, rather than the insert.
It seems to cut ok, but I'm wondering, what does this geometry do and is it ok, even though its not on the diameter?
dovetail_cutter.jpg

By placing it above center line you are creating a negative rake for the cut. This is just an example of the difference in angles.Negative rake.jpg

Actually if you just cut the land deeper (equal to the depth of the insert) it would put the top of the insert right on the centerline.
Mark

Actually if you just cut the land deeper (equal to the depth of the insert) it would put the top of the insert right on the centerline.
Mark
I realize that, but it worked and for the moment, it's not an issue. I have bigger fish to fry. Trying to mill the cross slide on the taper attachment after the welding.

I'm wondering if the angle of your dovetail might be off a little since your cutting edge isn't on exact center??? I know with lathe cutters they must be exactly on center to get an accurate angle.

Ted

possibly, but this is the gib side, so I only need a rough angle, the gib screws will not care of the original angle. But yes, it might create a compound angle.

I will have a job for a dovetail cutter my self if I ever get out of pain. After watching Mr Pete cast his logan cross slide adapter, I got the idea why not build my own. Watching him after that he had a free slide come in, so I asked him to sell his extra casting. Well I won it I guess with a $25. Offer. And figured like he did the aluminum casting will need the dove tail for strength. Keep us informed I think with aluminum ill need a positive down rake on the cutter to keep the sharp edge in the work.
God I miss my shop , I truly hope nobody has to ever suffer like I do.

Back