1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Dovetail cutter for aluminum (milling on the lathe...)

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by Cavediver, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Cavediver

Cavediver United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Buford
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

I picked up a milling attachment for my 7x10 HF lathe, and now I need to do something with it... My first project is going to be some light-duty 6061 aluminum tool holders for mounting indicators and whatnot.

So, now I need a dovetail cutter and some end mills.

Is there anything in particular I need to look for, or should I just pick up something in HSS and go for it? I've looked at a few and they vary between 6 and 12 teeth(?), HSS, Carbide, on and on. My best guess is HSS with a lower tooth count, but (once again) not knowing what I don't know, thought I should ask.

Thanks!

ETA: The rest of the operation
    I plan on getting the blocks cut and then squared up on the lathe. I will remove the bulk of the material in the dovetail and tool holding slots either on my table saw or with a standard end mill. Once that's complete I'll take a final facing cut on the dovetail side with an end mill and then finish out the dovetail.
    I have a 3MT ER 32 collet setup for holding the bits during milling operations.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Ulma Doctor likes this.
  2. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious Active Member

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

hss cutters will work fine in aluminum.
    roughing tools generally will have lower tooth counts
    for aluminum, you may consider using 2 flute endmills for ease of stock removal and then come back with the dovetail cutter to complete

3. ch2co

ch2co United States Grumpy Old Man H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Center of Colorado 5420ft
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Cavediver

Any chance of seeing a photo of this attachment?

4. Cavediver

Cavediver United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Buford
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Ulma Doctor likes this.