Don Bailey - Owner of Suburban Tool - shows how to excel at Surface Grinding

Suburban Tool Inc.

Registered
Registered
We ( Suburban Tool) will be releasing Tips and Tricks to make you more efficient at Grinding and Machining in the coming weeks and months. Enjoy

[Moderator update]
PLEASE NOTE: This is a video for more advanced users of surface grinders. There are some criticisms noted below. Unfortunately Don doesn't give you all the information necessary for a novice to use this technique.

His wheel engagement for his .007 cut is .050 per pass
He is using a Reid surface grinder comes in at around 3000 lbs and can manage the stresses involved appropriately.
He is using manual traverse in X and Y and both listening to the machine and using tactile feedback to remain safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video. That's how I was taught to do it. Good to know I'm not alone.

Thanks for presenting it. And thanks to Don for doing the video.

Oh well, my little Sanford surface grinder isn’t up to that kind of challenge. If I take more than say 3 thou, I could easily stop the motor. But nice video, thank you.

Thanks for sharing. That's the way I've always done it too.

For beginners, I would ignore the dangerous "tip" at 4:05 to remove ten thousandths at one time.
If you are using the automatic traverse and cross feed with a ten thousandths cut, the wheel will shatter. Your boss won't be too pleased using his precision grinder as a mill and endangering his staff.

For beginners, I would ignore the dangerous "tip" at 4:05 to remove ten thousandths at one time.
If you are using the automatic traverse and cross feed with a ten thousandths cut, the wheel will shatter. Your boss won't be too pleased using his precision grinder as a mill and endangering his staff.
I watched this video years ago and went back to watch after your comment about the "dangerous" tip. I don't see anything dangerous about this at all given the context of the video. He very clearly explains what he is doing and why. This is pretty normal roughing on an industrial scale.

If you are talking about beginner hobbyists, our smaller surface grinders are not capable of handling this type of production roughing. In that context, yes, heavy stock removal could be dangerous even in manual mode.

If not using coolant then this way will not work as well. Heat is the enemy.
He is doing similar to how I use the Landis Cylindrical grinder at work. With coolant of course! Take a heavy cut to get close and a couple passes or so to finish size and job done.
Pierre

What he is saying is the exact opposite of what I was taught. My mentor was wrong. This approach works fine with heavier grinders with higher HP motors. Love the video!

I kept in mind that almost everything that Surburban makes has to be surface ground, so they are *the* experts in the grinding field. However, them machine he is demonstrating on is 5HP and over 3000 lbs. So for hobby guys like us, an adapted version of what he says might be more applicable.

I watched the video . I can find many things that aren't correct in what he's doing . :grin: Really , flat within .0003 - .0005 on a sine plate ? That's why those in a real tool and die shop have to regrind anything from Suburban . Looked like his diamond was dead on center of the wheel , it should always be to the left side . Once you dress the wheel , you do not turn it off . Spray mist on a commercial grinder ? Uh , no . Flood coolant is needed to keep wheel from building up and breaking down at the very time you don't want it to . No coolant guard on the left of the machine , bet his walls look great . When starting the wheel , you give the wheel a start with your hand . Just the torque in the motor is enough to throw the wheel out of balance . If running flood coolant , let the wheel run for a few minutes if turning the motor off . Otherwise the coolant will throw the wheel off balance . Our grinders ran 8 hrs a day and were never shut off , especially our universal grinders . If one says take .010 per pass on shaft work , I'll call BS . You'll pull the shaft into the wheel and have a castastrophy on your hands , ask me how I know . I would rank this video a -5 on a 1-10 scale . :rolleyes:

Back