Does anyone recognize this quick change mechanism ??

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I am rebuilding a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC BOSS. As part of the process I have come into the position of this quick change spindle, see attached. Does anyone recognize it?
The mechanism appears to work. However I have a question over the working of the fingers. Quick change collets typically have a draw ring slot, however there are no fingers operating in this mechanism to grab the collet.
There is a taper in the lower neck and the shaft is hollow. There is room for a draw bar.
Thank you, Dan

Attachments

• quick_change.jpg
    quick_change.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Can't tell much from the picture . We had a Lagun FTV-3 with a quick change system looking similar to that . Popped the tool in and locked a knurled ring on the OD . Does this have a ring that turns ?

Attached is a photo of a side view.
I am new to quick change technology. The initial reading it appears as though the process is adaptors fit into the mechanism below. Does tooling fit directly into the adaptors or do the adaptors hold collets such as ER32?

Attachments

• quick_change_2.jpg
    quick_change_2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Thank you. Is this a 'good' end to use? I have two spindles for the BOSS 5. The one that is in the head has a definite bearing ball roll feel to it. This one is smooth as silk; there is no feel at all. If it is a good head to proceed to tool up to I will swap spindles while I have the upper half off.
(As note the lower half of the BOSS head is much simpler then the manual heads. There is the ball drive added, but the spindle feed and limit mechanisms are all removed. )

I like my quick change. The tool holders are a bit pricey, but I like it better than a R8.

You also need the spanner wrench if you don't already have one.

Thank you, that is helpful.
Follow up question, is the Erickson integral, that is machined into, the spindle? Or is it pressed in? Is the spindle made specifically and uniquely for Erickson or can the Erickson movement be replaced with something else?

Erickson is integral. It was one option on that machine. It is uniquely Erickson. Having said that, since you have a drawbar hole, not all machines do, you could use that with the #30 tool holders. 5/8-11 drawbar thread.

Back