Does anyone know where to buy 1"by 9" dowel pins

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
Hi Ive got a fixture that needs to be modified and the original used 1" dia dowel pins 5" long to locate on. The fixture needs another four inches added to the capacity which means I need 9" pins. I've checked Msc and McMaster and didnt see them checked ebay too. I could use ground stock but it would be much easier to just get the pins already done. Do they even make them this size? I could use longer ones if that's all I could get. Thanks

The longest I could find is 6 inches. I think you'll be making them. You could try calling Fastenal.

The 10 in pin is expensive. I think if he has to cut, it would be cheaper to purchase a 36in piece of 1in O1 drill rod and cut to length.

Thanks. I lied a little bit I didn't look my boss did or told me he did. But he does not use the Internet so I'm sure he just checked the paper catalog. I checked Msc myself. The pins need to be hardened so drill rod wouldn't work. I already ordered a hardened and ground rod that's 18" but looks like I'll get the pins instead. They are actually a lot cheaper then buying the rod and cutting them.

The pins need to be hardened so drill rod wouldn't work.

I read you will be buying the pins. FYI, drill rod can be hardened. It is normally sold in annealed state for ease of machining. I have hardened small pieces with a MAPP torch. Larger pieces would need oxy-acetylene to provide the heat. If you can get the piece above critical temperature, then it will harden when quenched. Next step is to temper.

I know the drill rod could be hardened but its a close sliding fit I'm sure any attempt by myself to harden it would most likely result in size change, oxidation or warping. So in this case it is better to buy it already finished. But now I have a nice 18" rod to check the alignment on my lathe with as I have the pins ordered and had already bought the rod to make them

@ Wreck™Wreck
Nice! One way or another, McMaster always seems to come through.

Back