[Lathe] Does Anyone Know What This Is/worth?

I don't know what make it is but I seen an old south bend lathe that size with tooling, with out the stand go for about $700. at an auction I was at a month ago. That one looks like it is ready to go as is, the one I looked at had a drive motor and pulley but was disconnected from the machine. In my opinion I do not like used machines unless you can get them for almost nothing. The reason is it is hard to determine if the machine is worn out, or has some sort of damage that is not obvious. Going with that the new non US made machines are a better choice in a way, and when you are looking at parts and accessories. but looking at it the other way if the machine is in excellent condition, has a lot of tooling accessories, and could be had at a favorable price, it may be the way to go. It is hard to say, you could make out, or have problems where cost of getting it fixed would not be worth the time and trouble.

I agree, and can get it for almost nothing...including a bunch of tooling. The belt is broken. But I am with you. Almost nothing ($0) + 1,000 to fix is no longer almost nothing especially for someone who is barely experienced enough to plug it in. Thank you for the reply!

It's hard to judge condition from the photo but it looks to be a Logan 200/400 in original and well cared for condition. A broken belt is a minor ($25 and a couple of hours time) issue and, as always, overall condition and price are everything. But that one's worth a closer look. Around here, that would be a $600-$800 lathe. If it were running, I think the asking price would be closer to $1000.

John

If I want it, I can get it for much, much less. I wouldn't know how to change the belt, but I guess I can learn.

out on the west coast, similar machines sell between 600- 1000.
there are plenty of folks that'd be happy to help, don't let inexperience keep you from experiencing the joy of turning ! :)

Thank you, but are they any good? I am ready to spend 2k on a new Chinese machine. I am hoping that this used one would have to rigidity, weight, and accuracy to turn and part stainless 304L. 303, etc.

Hi TonyL, yes, it’s lathe and it can make round things. BUT, it does not have a quick change gear box. For that one missing thing, I would not buy it at any price, never, nada…Dave.

Last edited:
I was drinking soda as I was reading this and almost spit it all of over my computer:)...I like your response. :encourage:

BTW, I had family in Danville. Their house faced Mt Diablo...magnificent!

Thank you, but are they any good? I am ready to spend 2k on a new Chinese machine. I am hoping that this used one would have to rigidity, weight, and accuracy to turn and part stainless 304L. 303, etc.
Looks just like the Logan 400 that I have had for several years. I'm quite happy with it.

Back