Does anyone know what this clamp is for?

n.glasson

Registered
Registered
I have 3 of these little clamps that came with a bundle of parts related to a Pultra lathe. The clamps appear professionally made and are about 1" long and 0.5" wide. They have a spring to open the jaw when the large knurled nut is undone. The small knurled screw acts to tighten the clamp just as a machinists (or toolmakers) parallel clamp does. I am not entirely convinced that they belong with the lathe and I'd like to find out for sure what they are for. The jaws only open about 1/8" before the small locking screw reaches it's useful limit but the main screw is much longer.

My leading thought is that they are clamps for holding thin disks (clock wheels and similar) onto the small face plate and that the extra length on the main screw allows the large thumb nut to secure the clamp to a slot in the face plate - as in the second photo.

Does anyone know for sure?

P4190010.JPG

P4190009.JPG

I have 3 of these little clamps that came with a bundle of parts related to a Pultra lathe. The clamps appear professionally made and are about 1" long and 0.5" wide. They have a spring to open the jaw when the large knurled nut is undone. The small knurled screw acts to tighten the clamp just as a machinists (or toolmakers) parallel clamp does. I am not entirely convinced that they belong with the lathe and I'd like to find out for sure what they are for. The jaws only open about 1/8" before the small locking screw reaches it's useful limit but the main screw is much longer.

My leading thought is that they are clamps for holding thin disks (clock wheels and similar) onto the small face plate and that the extra length on the main screw allows the large thumb nut to secure the clamp to a slot in the face plate - as in the second photo.

If you have three of those clamps and the are all fit that face plate , then I think you are right about
The way it works
Will that face plate taper fit you lathe ?
If it will then yes it is tooling for the lathe .
Might not be from the manufacturer
But it sure looks like it is well made and should stay with that lathe

Let me ask you this is that face plate got a straight shank stuck into a collet that will fit your lathe ?
Or is it just in a collet that want fit anything you have

Let me ask you this is that face plate got a straight shank stuck into a collet that will fit your lathe ?
Or is it just in a collet that want fit anything you have

The face plate is a fit for the Pultra lathe. The only thing that doesn't seem right is that the stud diameter is about half the size of the slots in the face plate (very loose), and there is a small boss on the thumbscrew that is just too large to fit the slot. Some custom washers (or custom nuts with a smaller diameter step) should fix it. I am just tidying up storage for all of the collets and accessories that are with the lathe and will definitely include these clamps in that storage.

Back