Does anyone have the PM-30MV mill yet?

I have a PM-30 MV with a 5" vise. Have not had any issues with the things I am doing. I got the installed DRO and I installed the X-axis drive. Going to build my own Z-axis drive as my next project. Recently bought an 8" rotary table. Great mill...trying to get a little more manual experience and then in a about a year I want to convert it to CNC.

I have a PM-30 MV with a 5" vise. Have not had any issues with the things I am doing. I got the installed DRO and I installed the X-axis drive. Going to build my own Z-axis drive as my next project. Recently bought an 8" rotary table. Great mill...trying to get a little more manual experience and then in a about a year I want to convert it to CNC.
Sounds like a nice setup, Are you talking about the drive to raise and lower the head? Which Rotary table, brand, did you get, curiousity?

Yes, to raise and lower the head. Rotary table is a Vevor. Have it on the mill right now to put radii on parts.

Yes, to raise and lower the head. Rotary table is a Vevor. Have it on the mill right now to put radii on parts.
I find the rotary tables and dividing heads very interesting, I have a 10" Vertex Rotary table Made in Taiwan which had turned out to be very tight and well built. I will look yours up just for my own curiosity sake.

Does your PM30Mv have a place for mounting the vertical Z drive?

That Rotary table looks good, and they offer a dividing head which is very reasonably priced, How do you like the table? good quality? I am planning to buy a dividing head but the Vertex is expensive, that is why I ask.

I have been using it lately...no issues. Out of the box seemed fine. Quality seems good enough for what I do. I have not delved into the specifics of the Z-drive, but others on here have. Seems like there are suitable places for everything to mount.

I have been using it lately...no issues. Out of the box seemed fine. Quality seems good enough for what I do. I have not delved into the specifics of the Z-drive, but others on here have. Seems like there are suitable places for everything to mount.
Thanks for the input, there is a plethora of these things to look at....

You are right. I had no experience with a mill when I got the PM-30MV. It has been great for me to learn on (that takes a while for me). Do I do stupid stuff sometimes, sure, but that is how I learn. I have made quite a few odds and ends, to include a taper attachment for my old Logan lathe. For me it has been the perfect mill.

You are right. I had no experience with a mill when I got the PM-30MV. It has been great for me to learn on (that takes a while for me). Do I do stupid stuff sometimes, sure, but that is how I learn. I have made quite a few odds and ends, to include a taper attachment for my old Logan lathe. For me it has been the perfect mill.
I have a PM940V and a PM1236, both are good machines, I would buy from Mathews again. I'll tell you what a dumby move is, I was using my power down feed to drill a half inch hole and hung it in a 3" thick block of aluminum, it took a pipe wrench to get the bit out and I had to replace the bearings for the belt drive pulley sleeve/shaft. Note to self, in the future manually feed the drill through the thick block... I have used a mill before owned several old mills but none of them have power down feed and I never had a lathe so I understand what you are saying completely.

FWIW, I'm using the 5" Homge vice on my PM30, and the size seems perfect to me.

New DRO is great. The built-in quill DRO leaves something to be desired, but functions OK. Just hard to see, and arrived with a pre-drained battery!

The 12mm square head on the drawbar is a non-issue - a 14mm 12-point socket or box-end wrench fits it perfectly.

I have noticed that the table is very soft. Takes very little to leave a nick in it.

Back