Do you work in Imperial or Metric?

What I get a chuckle out of are the various new reports where they provide a conversion for the reader's convenience. For example, if they were reporting a distance of 240 meters, which I would interpret as something more than 230 meters and less than 250 meters, they will give a conversion to 787.4 feet.

Or use football fields and olympic sized swimming pools as conversions.
My pet "hatred" is american food recipes, cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, packets (with no mention of size or product)
I mean, one and a third cups of grated mozzarella cheese is a nonsense if its an important amount, ist it large grated, small fine grated, warm, straight out the fridge, they will all give a different amount.

Unfortunately, some recipes assume that you can cook. ;)

Tom

I have a couple of years on you and on this side of the ditch changed a bit earlier. Same situation though I got whacked intermediate school and had to deal with both through exams and my apprenticeship so not only got tested on the subject but also conversions which was a pain. I think some things in Imperial and others in Metric still have problems with Joule as opposed to BTU though.
No real personal preference as I work on old and new stuff and the only time I get annoyed is when some muppet uses metric on an Imperial machine or vis-a versa. I can say that some of the British stuff in the early 1980's was interesting,(particularly Army Land Rovers),where they used UNC, UNF, SAE, Metric, BSF and BSW all on the same vehicle. A right pain in the field!
Both systems have good and bad points and using two gives options plus keeps the Grey Matter working.

I can say that some of the British stuff in the early 1980's was interesting,(particularly Army Land Rovers),where they used UNC, UNF, SAE, Metric, BSF and BSW all on the same vehicle. A right pain in the field!

I own a Jaguar I know all about the poms using metric and imperial fasteners. I am rebuilding the rack ATM and everything is imperial except 1 grub screw.

Did that one ever turn up then ?

;)

I don't know, must ask Google.

I own a Jaguar I know all about the poms using metric and imperial fasteners. I am rebuilding the rack ATM and everything is imperial except 1 grub screw.

I don't know, must ask Google.

When Man kind does get their(mars) at least their will be some stuff to put in a museum :) give families something to do on the weekend.

For recipes, it not the measurements, we get both besides they are on the other side of measuring the cup here, it's the British terms, like the one for icing sugar.

Back