Do you still use any tools that you made in shop class?

Still have every tool i made in vokie , in three years of shop we made many copies of Starrett machinist tools. Hardened n ground too. Hell we even used casenite for colors .

I don't have any shop tools that I can think of, but both of my parents have a couple of my projects decorating their respective houses.

My shop teacher was named Keji Sugiyama. He was a American born, SF Bay kid with Japanese parents. During WWII, he and his family were interned at Manzanar. While there, Mr. Sugiyama volunteered for a spot in an all-Japanese American battalion of Infantry, where he fought his own relatives in the Pacific, ending in the Japanese mainland after the bombs. He was light and friendly when he wasn't knocking heads. You just don't mess with a guy like that, yet there were always some who did. I can't say I learned a lot, I came in with a lot of knowledge, but I did get some great experience on machine tools that I couldn't get in my Dad's shop (he was between lathes when I was in high school).

Having never been to "high school", I never had any shop classes. However, I have been a model builder since before I was a teenager. As such, I had many tools specific to model building and electrical tinkering. Some of them were built because they didn't exist or were hard to find or too costly for a kid. Later, at 17(and more) there were times in the military that I needed something and being at sea it was simpler and faster to make it. Such items were crude, but functional. I think I still have a couple specific to sailing ships but I haven't built a sailing ship since the mid '70s. But I never intentionally let go of any tool, so they may well still be here.

Does that count???

Back