Do you still use any tools that you made in shop class?

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
I was reading 2volts post on the tool maker's clamps that he made. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/toolmaker-clamps.54532/#post-463629

Very nice write-up and shop made tools BTW. I noticed RandyM's post on cleaning up a set of clamps that he made in shop class and wondered if anyone else still uses tools that they made in Jr. or High School shop class?

I have 2 hand forged cold chisels that are my go to tools when a chisel is needed. These were made somewhere around 1969 +/- a year or so. Other tools that were made in Jr. High are long gone, tool maker's clamps and several light hammers come to mind.

Anyone else using old tools that were made in shop?

Mike

I made a ball peen hammer in junior high shop class (no high school shop classes were offered). Still use it for center punching holes. I didn't know CRS from 1080 from 4140, etc. at the time and made the head out of a CRS round. It was case hardened with Kasenite, but looks a little rough on the working end.

Bruce

I didn't make it, but I still have the architect's scale that I used in high school shop class to draw the plans for the gun cabinet which I then built. I keep it on my bookshelf at work, next to a scale my dad owned. (ok, I bought it when the school got new drafting gear! ha)

image.jpeg
Ok, so I know they're not machine shop tools but it wasn't specified either ;-)

I made all of them in my grade 11 year I think, and actually did a presentation in my English class on the benefits of making your own hand tools and used these as examples. The two try squares I used for a while but they have since been supplanted by store-bought versions (there is a slight issue of accuracy with mine that does not please me). The mallet and Japanese-style marking gauge though are still my go to tools when I need one. Neither are fancy, but they just work. I guess they're coming up on 40 years old soon.

Thanks for looking.

-frank

I was reading 2volts post on the tool maker's clamps that he made. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/toolmaker-clamps.54532/#post-463629

Very nice write-up and shop made tools BTW. I noticed RandyM's post on cleaning up a set of clamps that he made in shop class and wondered if anyone else still uses tools that they made in Jr. or High School shop class?

I have 2 hand forged cold chisels that are my go to tools when a chisel is needed. These were made somewhere around 1969 +/- a year or so. Other tools that were made in Jr. High are long gone, tool maker's clamps and several light hammers come to mind.

Anyone else using old tools that were made in shop?

Mike
Oh yeah, I still have a fly cutter and 1-2-3 blocks!

These are the ones I could find quickly. I know there are others in tool boxes. I also have a drill point angle gauge and a thread tool setting gauge buried somewhere on my workbench. We had 4 lathes and 1 mill so we did a lot of lathe work.

20170227_223703.png

Back