Do I Need This?

S

Spike

Forum Guest
Register Today
The tail stock on my lathe has the lever like all the rest but only a hole where I see other tail stocks have a chrome bulb like part. What is it and do I need it?

s-l1600_zpsjs5ysg0s.jpg

Random photo swiped from the internet and cropped to show the part I mean. Sorry for butchering the terms for this stuff and thanks for any help.
-Spike

s-l1600_zpsjs5ysg0s.jpg

s-l1600_zpsjs5ysg0s.jpg

s-l1600_zpsjs5ysg0s.jpg

s-l1600_zpsjs5ysg0s.jpg

s-l1600_zpsjs5ysg0s.jpg

It's s dauber. You fill the hole with white lead and use the dauber to daub it on to the tip of dead center to lubricate it. Turn one out of brass.

Hardly ever see a lathe tailstock that still has the dauber, I use antiseize instead of white lead.

Here's a YouTube video that might help:

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I guess I can use it without that then. Thanks for the info folks. I may try to turn one once i get this lathe operational.
Thanks again!
-Spike

Black Moly grease has worked well in my experience as a center lube. Takes pressure well because of the Moly, is dirt cheap compared to how much you use, and fairly common.

Mine still has the dauber. Hard to find white lead anymore and is a health hazard, but it worked well with dead centers and steady rests. Live centers take away most of the need, but still might like to use a half center ever so often. Copper based C5a anti-seize is a good alternative.

Hard to find white lead anymore and is a health hazard
Only if you eat it.

I made a dauber for my Logan. Seemed incomplete without it, and besides I can't afford a live center. I use anti-sieze instead of white lead, though.

Back