Do I need a swivel base for a mill vise?

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I am only a couple of months in on using my new to me mill. I picked up an older bridgeport vise.
It did not have a swivel base. At first I said I don't need it. It will lead to less rigidity. But now, I am wondering how I'll make angled cuts. The vise is bigger than my table.
How often do you use your swivel?
Can you do it w/o the swivel still in the vise? I can't forsee blocking it up easily.
Sure I could clamp to the table...
just looking for ways to make a decision.

Iam in the same boat. Have a swivel base - don't use it unless I need to set a specific angle for a cut. Then it comes back off the table, and I just use the solid upper part of the vise for day to day work holding. I guess the loss in rigidity (and height!) is just a necessary evil.

Glenn

It all boils down to versatility. Sooner or later you will need one. Rigidity hasn't been a problem for me so it is on the mill
most of the time in case I need an angle cut. It's really handy for thin material circle cutting with a center pin. It's all in
the operations you do.

There should be no loss in rigidity with a swivel base; height MAY be an issue on benchtop mills, but not most others.

I use the swivel base on the mill vise very often, most of the time its just left under the vise (too lazy to remove it)

As said, there should not be any rigidity change with the swivel base but on my mill I didn't want to loose the height space.
I put it on when needed and then go back to the fixed vise.
Jim

A swivel base came with my vise and I have never used it. (Disclaimer: my Tormach CNC makes it redundant.) It does take up valuable vertical work space and will be less rigid than mounting the vise to the table. If I didn't have the CNC mill, I would probably only use it as needed, removing it for other setups.

However, I keep a 12" RT permanently mounted on my old mill drill, largely because it is a pain, literally, to move it in and off the table.

Get a cheap, but decent Chinese swivel vise for the rare times you need it.
Just wait for a sale to come around, should not set you back more than $100.00 or so.
If you live in city, good chance you can get one from MSC during a sale, and pick it up to save the shipping.

Like RJ, I have a CNC mill so as he said ...
"A swivel base came with my vise and I have never used it. If I didn't have the CNC mill, I would probably only use it as needed, removing it for other setups.

Back