Do I Need A Collet Chuck?

I had time to piddle with my new 5C collet chuck. First off, if you've used a collect closer that has the handle (sorry for not knowing the correct terms for stuff) at the back of the lathe, you will not like the collet chuck.....it takes a long time to "wind" the collet into the chuck.....maybe a cordless drill & a square driver can speed it up). It seems to take too many "turns" to loosen the stock to swap in a new piece (when making multiple parts) too.
Just my opinions so far.....we'll see after I've had reason to use it seriously on a project.
Mike Sal
Like your idea. I've got a POTD posting (link is below) for making a cordless drill arbor for my 5-C collet chuck. Yeah, by hand it takes around 20 full turns to tighten a collet. I used a 3/8" square drive to 1/4" hex commercial socket adapter and mounted it in a 5-C collet which was held in a square collet block. Knocked down all 4 sides on my surface grinder to whatever the metric square hole is in the chuck. Works great.

Bruce

http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-188#post-355922

upload_2017-1-14_11-55-39.png

Back