Distractions

The worst distractions are when your wife is raising Hell at you when you are driving. I got into a small accident when I was about 22 years old from that.
That would have been a horse and buggy then wouldnt it George? :p

we always have race cars or hot rods in our shop, and the darn things bite, shed first blood on current project today, paper towel and black tape, you're in real trouble if you need duct tape.

Its always hard for me to hire out for this reason.
A few years ago my next door neighbor had new shingles installed by a reputable licensed roofing company. The roll off was supplied by a sub contractor the roofing company hired and was positioned too close to the house (IMO) and I asked my next door buddy if he wanted me to be there for the roll off pick up (spotter for driver) as I was home that week and of course he said "no they should have problems". I was working outside when the roll off truck came to recover the dumpster and heard a horrible sound of cracking lumber. It turns out when they began lifting the unit it caught the eves and ripped a large section of his roof up. I saw that some of his trusses where ripped away from the top plate. They did fix the roof but now he has a visible crown left on a 200 sf area. Luckily his walls are made of block and held fine during the mishap and no leaks after repair.

On the super glue for moderate lacerations, I find the Loctite GEL brand works very well as the thicker gel tends to cures like a bead and less likely to simply run off the area applied.
It does burn for a little while but after multiple hand washing it holds up better than the thinner super glue. I also use it to close up full thickness lacerations on my four GSD' followed by staples to keep the cut closed (they will lick off the glue in no time otherwise).

I bet you'll be supervising the repair. Sorry for your hassle non the less and good luck.

Superglue is great for skin rebuild, but not so good for deep cuts. While on a very remote island in Tonga I sliced across the back of my finger between my first and second knuckle of my pointer finger, all the way to the bone (somehow miraculously missed the extender tendon and bundle of nerves that run up the side). We had some medical grade superglue on board in a dispenser that had a glass vial you crush and a cotton swab tip for who knows what purpose (probably to filter out the glass bits!)... certainly not nearly as precise applicator as any other superglue bottle I've used. Anyway, while trying to hold the cut closed with my thumb and side of my middle finger I squeezed a drop of glue on the end of the cotton and touched it to the cut. A whole lot more glue than I intended wicked down into the hollow under the skin (pulled back meat) where it proceeded to "kick off" and smoke a bit... man that hurt! Anyway, a couple days later I had to tear it back open and pick out a hunk of glue that was almost the size of a corn kernel. I got smarter and used regular superglue to tack down some gauze on either side of the cut to hold it closed (kind of like a fiberglass patch), then painted over with several layers of liquid skin to waterproof it. Had to replace the patch a couple times over then next 2 weeks, but it kept the tropical infections out and healed up pretty well.

Back