[How-To] Dismantle Jacobs Hand Tite Chuck 30354

Deltatango

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
When I want a tool I look among the rejects to see if I can make it work, fixing my house needed a right angle type drill.

Found a sick one in a Dewalt that had suffered the usual tool damage I see used for plasterboard (drywall I think you call it) filled with dust then left in the rain!

Got most of it freed up and copious lubricant freed its chuck enough to remove it (jaws rusted) now need to get it apart to clean and soak in rust remover.

Looked at many video's but none are like mine, heavy metal base with plastic dome looks like a 30354 from photo's and when you look at the middle screw hole it resembles a Torx pattern this leads me to think it may be a threaded coupling rather than press fit.

Just need advice on the exact method before I damage it or myself.

Thanks for any help......:anyone:

Deltatango

Attachments

• 30354 Chuck.jpg
    30354 Chuck.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2
Many chucks have left hand machine screw in the center to hold them on the spindle. Use a new torx bit (at least one not worn) because if you screw up the bite, well, you're screwed! I broke a screw off in a Milwaukee chuck before I realized it to be left hand thread, and fortunately once the chuck came off, the rest of the screw came right out. Those LH machine screws are hard for me to find.
DanK

Thank you for your interest and reply, the centre screw I know about and this chuck is free from its drill drive, what I want to know is how to dismantle that chuck.
I have seen loads of video's on YouTube but none refer to my type of chuck, of those I have seen and those I have taken off they have just a simple hole for that screw to pass through. This one has a star shaped hole (Torx style) and engages with a T40 size.
Those dismantled seem to be press fitted together either by hydraulic press or use of a vice, but I wonder this one might be threaded together I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you again

Deltatango

Back