Disassembling The Head Unit Of A 21-100

cplbuck11

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I'm new to the group. I have a 21-100 made in about 1960. It's been sitting out in the weather and was rained on before I rescued it. I took the head assembly off from the quill by removing the four bolts holding it to the quill assembly. The quill moves freely up and down and the spindle spins freely. However, the spindle pulley is stuck fast. I'm thinking that the brake is stuck. I was able to remove the bearing nut #33 and lock and drove out the #22 hub for spindle pulley. Does anyone out there know how to separate the #24 pulley from the #29 pulley bearing retainer so I can expose the brake assembly? Do I need to press the pulley off or should it just come off easily now that the hub is out? Thanks in advance.

21-100 milling head exploded diagram.jpg

I had my 21-100 apart last year. You say that you have completely removed the hub #22 and the pulley assembly still will not lift off #29? I recall that my pulley along with the brake shoe just lifted off at that point.

Is the brake actuator (#30) free or is it stuck and holding things together?

John

I found a picture from when I disassembled the head. It still appears to me that the pulley assembly just lifted off of the hub+brake once #22 was pressed out.20150509_183302[1].jpg

Also, note that I was wrong in my last post - the brake shoe stays with the hub, not with the spindle assembly when the two are pulled apart.
John

I just had a forehead slapping moment - is the brake actuator stuck in the 'brake on' position, locking the pulley to the hub?

John thanks so much for your reply and picture. You have answered all my questions!! I did try moving the brake lever in both positions forward, which I think engages the brake and back. I even tried it in the middle position. Seems like the brake shoe is somehow stuck in the engaged position. You are correct in that the brake shoe stays in the hub. According to the drawing it's held in there with a snap ring. Now I know the pulley is not pressed on to the hub in anyway. I might reassemble everything and hook up the motor and see if it can jar it loose. Then pull it all apart and clean it.

The 'middle' position is the disengaged position. Pushing or pulling the handle engages the brake.

If you are getting a linear 'spring-like' force when pushing or pulling then the shoe must be loose - the shoe is the only spring in the system.

John

The 'middle' position is the disengaged position. Pushing or pulling the handle engages the brake.

If you are getting a linear 'spring-like' force when pushing or pulling then the shoe must be loose - the shoe is the only spring in the system.

John

Awesome John, I'm going to try it now in the middle, neutral position and check it. I can feel some slight spring tension when I push or pull the brake lever. I'll put it in the middle and try it now.

I was able to PRY the pulley off the hub with two pry bars. The shoe is definitely swelled up. I still can't get the whole assembly out of the main housing. I thought once I separated the pulley off the hub I could finally get the damn thing out of the housing but no dice. Damn thing is really frustrating. I can't believe it was designed this way. Now that it's exposed maybe the moisture will dry up and it will shrink. I'll leave it for a few days.

Cpl Buck - were you able to get the pulley off?

Back