[How do I?] Disassemble lathe compound

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is off my Logan 12" turret lathe, but it's not original. I'm not even sure this is a Logan compound. But I'm trying to disassemble it to clean it. I was able to get the gib out, but now I'm stumped. How do I get this apart so I can clean the crud and swarf out of the ways and nooks and crannies?15067223401111096578239.jpg 15067224961501326632902.jpg 15067225377902051331856.jpg

Have you tried inserting a rod in the radial holes as a wrench to see if the bottom plate will unscrew?

You need to remove the set scew which you can see in the last pic. After thats removed the nut will slide out the bottom. The two pieces will not seperate with the nut in place. This assumes that you have figured out how to remove the hardware from the feed screw. The collar threads into the top casting.

Which part the compound ? Take the screws on the side out they hold the pressure on the gib. Then under screw the unit counter clock wise till it slides off then your down to the nut in the base . The nut should just pull out . The cross slide is the same way , loosen and remove the gib wedges , then you can crank the table clockwise it will run off the threads then push it off the lathe . The nut there should also pull out. The screws can be removed after you know how there held , some are screwed in others have two bolts . Clean and polish sharp edges and burrs , clean it well and reinstall with good way oil and remember to lube before using .

That's a compound off of a South Bend lathe that has been adapted to the Logan lathe.
First thing that has to come off to get the rest apart is the Acme threaded screw. To remove it, insert a Starrett pin punch in the blind hole just behind the graduated dial. It's right handed thread, so force it in a counter clockwise direction to break loose. Once it is loosen, rotate to remove. You will have to rotate the handle the other direction to advance the slide forward so it don't get in a bind. After removing the screw, next remove the set screw holding the nut in place. Then pry the nut out. Once done, the slide should come apart. Now, how it's connected to the other piece that adapts to the Logan, that's another story you'll have to figure out. Ken

Back