Subwayrocket

Registered
Registered
I hear dirtbikes and motorcycles mentioned often enough on Hobby Machinist so i'm going to start this thread.
If you've got some nice pics or vids of your bike(s) or other motor sports machines , post'em here .
Bikes, Atv, Sleds, hot rods, whatever. It will be a nice little "off topic" excursion for all machinists that ride .
-------------------------------------------------
I'll go first

hqdefault.jpg
I used to race dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Also have a couple of stand up jet skies.

Looks like nice country, and nice trail there in Pa.

Back in the days of yesteryear, I used to do a lot of back country trail riding on my old 175 Kawasaki. A little underpowered but I was only about 130 lbs.
There's a lot of beautiful country here in Colorado and Wyoming that just begs to be seen. I also enjoyed bare tire class ice racing for a while. Quite a hoot!
You're dressed in so much warm clothing that when you crash you just lie there on the ice and laugh, feeling sort of like Bib the Michelin guy. I know that the serious
boys use studied and spiked tires, but thats getting dangerous in my book and entirely too competitive if you ask me. Fun to watch though.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

img211.jpg

This is what I was trying to do above.
Audio is off time for some reason.

Last edited:
OK here's some of mine,

2013 Suzuki DR 650, getting it setup for an off road trip, have new luggage racks from Motoracks and soft bags from Mosko Moto and an Acerbis 20 litre fuel tank.
Lots more to do but getting it sorted.

photo%20304_zpsznvtucbn.jpg

2012 Suzuki DL650 VStrom, my daily rider, excellent bike, setup for camping trips and overnighters and 95% asphalt, it s OK on dirt/gravel roads but not awesome. (maybe it's just me)

IMG_1327_zps0iwh0q3y.jpg

2007 Suzuki GS500 Wife's bike, recently sold.

IMG_2092_zpsdac2a753.jpg

1980 Suzuki GS1000S X 2, why have only one when you can have two.
One stock and fully restored from frame up (one on left) and the other basic strip and clean, but came as a running motorcycle so nothing major.

photo%20295_zpsmwy0rnww.jpg

A few others have passed through including two of these, 1981 Honda CT110's.

f8112fd3-1b97-4bbc-b1ad-ddd6b4ddf20f_zps65876dea.jpg

Next up some pictures with a bit more "action"

Last edited:
OK here are the action pictures, from my racing in NZ late 70's to 1980.

My very first race, 1977 Yamaha RD400. Novice class, two 2nd place finishes, including falling off while in the lead and I managed to remount and finish 2nd.

Scan7_zpsfc24def8.jpg

1978 Suzuki GS1000, Street Circuit racing was awesome and a bit dangerous compared with today's tracks, 5th and 3rd place IIRC in Open production class.1978GS1000DunedinStreetRace_zpsee075479.jpg

A few years later, on a 1979 Suzuki GS1000S,
1979GS1000SMansfield_zpsda81395d.jpg

1979GS1000SRuapunaNationalRace_zpscf178a7e.jpg

1978GS1000Dunedin_zps29c07eda.jpg

1980 Suzuki GSX 1100
1980GSX1100RuapunaNationalPointsRace_zpsc7bd7f0a.jpg

That's about it for now got to go.

David

Last edited:
Nice pics and great memories there David.

I see your a Suzuki fan. Me too. I've got a 400 Eiger (wifes quad), a 700 Kingquad (mine), a 1400 Intruder and a DF250 on the boat. I also used to have a DR 650 back in the days when we did a lot of family camping.

John

I hear dirtbikes and motorcycles mentioned often enough on Hobby Machinist so i'm going to start this thread.
If you've got some nice pics or vids of your bike(s) or other motor sports machines , post'em here .
Bikes, Atv, Sleds, hot rods, whatever. It will be a nice little "off topic" excursion for all machinists that ride .
-------------------------------------------------
I'll go first

Wow I almost crashed just watching that.

This is what I am riding now, not so sexy, but it suits my needs and I got a smoking deal on it IMG_20161129_112608.jpg

Nice pics and great memories there David.

I see your a Suzuki fan. Me too. I've got a 400 Eiger (wifes quad), a 700 Kingquad (mine), a 1400 Intruder and a DF250 on the boat. I also used to have a DR 650 back in the days when we did a lot of family camping.

John
Does it show that I like Suzuki's, I thought by throwing a few other brands in no-one would notice, haha. Yep I do like Suzuki's, they sponsored me while bike racing and I've been a loyal follower ever since.

Back