Digital Calipers- What do you think of these?

that will be an excellent set of calipers for home use.. i've been using a set of mitutoyo digital calipers for about 20yrs now, been a very good set of calipers, very durable and also very accurate..... they were so good, the battery went out one day and i ordered an 8" mitutoyo digital caliper for a backup pair, then i liked those so much i bought some 12" mitutoyo calipers...

i would probably get the 6" digitals then probably a set of 12" dial calipers..

I agree with what you guys are saying.

I will get the digital and look for a good 12" one on Ebay.

Thanks again!

Nelson

for micrometers, dont get digital micrometers......

only brand of micrometers i would consider are starrett, mitutoyo and brown&sharpe.. starrett first then mitutoyo or B&S either as second choice. i like carbide faced mics only...

Last edited by a moderator:
author=brucer link=topic=2964.msg20799#msg20799 date=1312500411

Why not?

Nelson

author=Allthumbz link=topic=2964.msg20786#msg20786 date=1312497842
And don't forget free shipping codes and 10 or 15% off codes!

There happens to be a Travers local to me so it is a pick up! ;)

Nelson

Must be nice to live close to a place like that but it's probably good I don't ;) ;)

author=DaveH link=topic=2964.msg20807#msg20807 date=1312501655
Brucer,

only brand of micrometers i would consider are starrett, mitutoyo and brown&sharpe.. starrett first then mitutoyo or B&S either as second choice.

Huh - what is wrong with my Cheap cheerfull Chinese ones :crying: :crying: :crying:

:)
DaveH

if i were going to buy the chinese mics i would want to feel of them first... a friend of mine bought aset and they were fine, he still has them to this day, but i would want to spin them and measure with them before i bought them..

author=Allthumbz link=topic=2964.msg20803#msg20803 date=1312501098

Why not?

Nelson

this was years ago, but a guy i worked with had a set of 0-1 digital mics, he ran cnc mills, coolant got on them and tey wouldnt read correct for a couple of days.... they might be better now, i was taught on just the regular old mics so i stick with those..

I currently have a manual Mitutoyo set I got on Ebay, and they work fine- I don't mind learning to read them.

The thing that caught my eye was the conversion to metric at the touch of a button. Dealing with chinese parts- it's all metric, and that can come in handy I think.

Nelson

Nelson I've got a big wall chart with measurements in metric and SAE behind my lathe that I use for reference. Only cost $3 or $4 and is durable plastic with the tap hole drill sizes and various info. About 2' x 3', but I don't do all that much metric so for me the quick change button would only be the occasional benefit. Just a thought.....I find the chart fairly handy myself.

~Chris

wallchart 001.jpg

author=Allthumbz link=topic=2964.msg20915#msg20915 date=1312552848
I currently have a manual Mitutoyo set I got on Ebay, and they work fine- I don't mind learning to read them.

The thing that caught my eye was the conversion to metric at the touch of a button. Dealing with chinese parts- it's all metric, and that can come in handy I think.

Nelson

use 25.4 for metric conversion.

Back