Digital Calipers- What do you think of these?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I had picked out these calipers, and they are now on sale at Travers.

My only calipers right now is a Mitutoyo non-electronic set.

What do you guys think of these?

Attachments

• Mitutoyo_digital.jpg
    Mitutoyo_digital.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:
:) :) :) Drooool I don't have any digital calipers but would like them if I thought I could justify it. Mitutoyo is quality stuff, my dial caliper is Mitutoyo,... got some cheaper Chinese ones too. Definitely agree with the thought that calipers are rough measurement tools even though that is sometimes close enough. I learned in shop class that in order for a tool to be accurate to 0.001" it needs to measure to 0.0001". Micrometers typically measure to 0.0001" giving that accuracy. Calipers on the other hand don't typically measure to 0.0001" these measure to 0.0005" which is better than some but anymore typical of digital calipers. You'll use it but may not "need" that much caliper ?? Probably won't regret it though unless you see it advertised cheaper somewhere else later ?? It's a good quality calipers IMHO. ;) ;)
With a bit of care in a home shop environment waterproof probably isn't all that necessary, just a nice feature and a sales point. Had a machinist friend tell me calipers are only accurate to +- 0.003" but he may have been referring to older dial calipers ?? Today's closer tolerances in machining would apply to new measuring instruments as well I would assume??
~Chris

author=mnmh link=topic=2964.msg20703#msg20703 date=1312477877
Anything Mitutoyo I like. They don't make junk.

That's a decent price from Travers. There's one on ebay right now currently the bid is at $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitutoyo-Digima...pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bd14ec7f

I'd like to get the 8" version of the one you are looking at. I need an 8" caliper and usually prefer dial calipers but I wouldn't mind having one digital caliper in my tool cabinet.

Ed

That was ANOTHER question I had Ed. Is 6" enough for a beginning home guy like me or should I pony up for 8"? The 6" is usually the ONLY one they ever have on sale?

Thanks,

Nelson

author=DaveH link=topic=2964.msg20702#msg20702 date=1312477850
I use the cheaper non waterproof ones all the time, I have 4 or so that still work.
I really like them quick and easy, reasonably accurate.

However I still tend to use my micrometers for the final accuracy – but that’s just me :) :) :)

DaveH

Dave,

I have some non-digital Mitutoyo's I got cheap on Ebay- a pretty nice set. Do you guys think I would be better served getting some digital micrometers (Mitutoyo) instead???

Nelson

author=DaveH link=topic=2964.msg20726#msg20726 date=1312484462
Nelson,
Me thinks you have too much money :) :) :) :) :) :)

For me (and quite a few others) how much something costs is important. A digital Mitutoyo micrometer is to me very expensive, I would just buy a CCC one, -not even a digital one just a standard type and use the left over money for other tool.
That's just my point of view.
DaveH

Maybe he just won the lottery ?? ;) ;) ;) Yes I bought quite a few non-essentials when I first started too. Not that the tools themselves aren't essential but that I didn't "need" many of the things I bought and they are expensive dust/rust collectors unless you are using them. For a home shop start out "VERY" basic and buy what you need as you need it. You don't "need" a lot of fancy tools to do good work and can often better spend that hard earned money on major items. And like DaveH said that is just my point of view and from my experience. I am an avid tool enthusiast and like nothing better than getting a new toy in the mail. ;) ;) :) :) But have learned to my chagrin that I often don't use what "I thought" was too good of a deal to pass up. Spend your time getting that lathe working and don't spend too much time drooling over the tool catalogs. In over ten years of buying from Enco and other companies they pretty much cycle their sales so if you think you might need something don't panic buy it as it will come back on sale for the same price a few months down the road normally. If you really need it buy it and then you might add some small stuff to get free shipping if you want?? A little planning goes a long ways. People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.
My 2 cents worth.
~Chris

Nelson,

It all depends on what you are making. I've had a few 6" dial calipers since I started this hobby some 12 years ago and they have been adequate for almost all of what I do. There have been a few times I could have used an 8" so I"m looking at both dial and digital. The reason I would like one digital caliper is for the instant inch to metric at the press of the button feature. If you can afford it, I would purchase quality tools right from the start. Quality tools will last you your lifetime so in the end they are cheaper than purchasing poor quality tools. You don't have to get top of the line tools to get quality tools.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Ed

Well stated :) That oughta be worth at least 3 cents ;) I would personally recommend a 6" digital and a 12" dial caliper for the times you need a bit longer for the simple reason it gives you another 4"s over the 8" model and comes in handy on occasion. FWIW
~Chris

author=DaveH link=topic=2964.msg20726#msg20726 date=1312484462
Nelson,
Me thinks you have too much money :) :) :) :) :) :)

For me (and quite a few others) how much something costs is important. A digital Mitutoyo micrometer is to me very expensive, I would just buy a CCC one, -not even a digital one just a standard type and use the left over money for other tool.
That's just my point of view.

DaveH

Not too much money, but I get an allowance from each check to buy some tools, and I want to buy the best I can afford so I don't have to buy twice.

Nelson

author=mnmh link=topic=2964.msg20777#msg20777 date=1312496229
Nelson,

Enco currently has that same Mitutoyo digital caliper on sale for $183 so Travers sale price of $143 is a very decent price.

Ed

Ed,

I know- they are very overpriced on that item- Travers' normal price is $179.

$143 is real good, which is why I asked all your opinions. :)

Nelson

:) ;) It definitely pays to shop around !! 8)

And don't forget free shipping codes and 10 or 15% off codes!

There happens to be a Travers local to me so it is a pick up! ;)

Nelson

Back