"different" method of grinding 3 jaw chuck

dontrinko

Registered
Registered
I saw a video where a guy put a copper pipe near the end of the chuck, tightened it, put locktight blue on the jaws to hold then then removed the pipe and ground the jaws.
Lock tight is expensive so I used hot glue instead. Worked fine and when I was done the hot glue pealed off easily.
It was an old Craftsman chuck for my 109. runout was inconsistent and the jaws well bell mouthed. Now i get about .002" and no more bell mouth. Don

we tried that on my boys lathe and he set it up the day before, but it did not work for us, what finally did and seemed to get it true was to just spin the lathe at its max rpm while we lightly ground the jaws and it worked for us.

i was tempted to try that but there is something about large chunks of steel turning at high rpm that did not sit right! curious what rpm you have to turn to insure the jaws are back against the scroll? If it was 1000 or even 2000 rpm i would feel safe.
I did not use the traditional "washer" method because the jaws on that chuck go way back inside the chuck and there is nothing to stop the washer from going to far. Don

i was tempted to try that but there is something abouI t large chunks of steel turning at high rpm that did not sit right! curious what rpm you have to turn to insure the jaws are back against the scroll? If it was 1000 or even 2000 rpm i would feel safe.
I did not use the traditional "washer" method because the jaws on that chuck go way back inside the chuck and there is nothing to stop the washer from going to far. Don
He has a 14 in lathe and I believe we spun it up to 2000rpm with light passes with an electric rotary grinder

Back