different Bridgeport J head problem

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Ok, got the 3 ph. motor switched out for a 220v single ph. . Thanks to Mike for all the help.

I was having a problem with the mill before switching motors, but for some reason, I thought the new motor might fix the problem, but it didn't go away.

Mill works perfect in all 4 low speeds. But when I move the top lever and watch the high speed pulley/clutch engage, and set the other lever to out and turn the machine on. it immediately jumps outta gear. I tried it several times. What should I look for as to why it is jumping outta high gear? IMG_5168.JPG

Can you feel it actually drop into engagement? With the brake engaged, and by rotating the spindle by hand it should drop into position with a solid clunk. Failing that, then something is jamming up and preventing the vertical motion of the bearing sleeve. Or maybe it just needs some oil up there.

Last edited:
Yep, I can actually feel/hear/watch it click into position. I'll see if I can do a video on it tomorrow and post it.

Never seen that before. The only real posibilities then are weak or missing springs (4) or really worn dogs.

They are just below the cam on top, the cam raises the bearing sleeve against the springs. I think you can access them by pulling the top bearing housing off of the top of the belt housing, 3 or 4 screws as I recall. It's been awhile since I've had a J head apart.

EDIT: It may be necessary to remove the belt housing to access the springs.

Last edited:
Yup, what RandyM said

Back