Difference in use between audible edgefinder and regular one?

Should just be the sound. That style edgefinders are good for about 0.0002 if you are careful, so I don't see why they wouldn't work just fine.

You get yours fixed yet?

Tony,

Can one be used on a spinning machine at a given speed, for example?

Mine is still apart-

The spring is not in good shape- the curved ends bend back too easily. I need to get a new spring.

I bought a new set on Ebay- a single and double-ended Starrett, in case I decide I need one as opposed to the other.

Best,

Nelson

Not sure what you're asking, Nelson. Those edge finders (both audible and normal) require a spinning spindle. There is a practical limit to the speed, however. Too slow and they are slow to react, and you bypass the edge. Too fast and they will wear out, or at extreme speeds will sling themselves apart. 3-400 is what I end up with most of the time.

I have a spring in the parts box. You're welcome to it. If you want it, PM me a mailing address and I'll shoot it to you.

I have both types, and did find one advantage to the audible edge finders. I always work into an edge 2 or 3 times to make sure I'm getting consistent results. With the normal type I watch for it to kick, and then check the readout on my DRO. If I get the same number a few times (within .0002") I go with it. With the audible finders I can keep my eyes on the DRO and watch the readout and just listen for the kick. Don't have to keep looking up and down to eyeball them both. Saves time and keep me from getting dizzy. ;D

I'm more hard of hearing than bad eyesight. As long as I have my bifocals, I think I'd rather see it. I may have to try an audible one just to see how it is. :)

I'm more blind than I am deaf. 8)

But you do raise a good point Tony. Between the mill running and the drone of my RPC, it CAN be a little hard to hear them sometimes. It is something to consider.

I'm sure I look funny to others when I cock my head trying to zero in on a sound. Sometimes it's hard to get a bead on direction of sounds. I'm guilty of abusing my hearing both in the shops, and when younger, loud music. Wish I had known better, or at least paid attention to warnings and protected my ears.

I don't have an RPC to contend with, but still, if the sound is high pitched in particular, I won't hear it. Example: High pitch squeal from my TV that has a dying power supply. If I hold my head just right, and everything else is quiet, I can hear it.....barely. One of my DMM has a audible continuity beep....can't hear it unless I hold it right up to my ear. Clicking/ticking....maybe so. Worth a try.

Back