Difference between metal-cutting bandsaw and power hacksaw?

Well I still like my power hack saw best. In my store I used to sell two different sizes, 14" and 16". The one I kept for myself was the 14" and it cuts almost everything I ever wanted to. I used to make band saw blades as well, still do for that matter if I have the right material. Farmers would come in and order 5 or 10 blades at a time. I have used my hack saw a lot and for about 25 years. It took me that long to go through a 10 pack of blades. Just bought another 10 pack last year which should last me the rest of my life time.
However if anyone is interested I have an used 18" for sale. About a $100 bill would buy it. It needs a motor as it probably had a 3 phase on it and the fellow I bought it from probably took it off. It looks to be in fairly good shape otherwise. Needs a bit of cleaning and probably some tuning but looks sound.
I bought it because when running the store/shop in town I was going to set it up there and bring my 14" home but now that we have semi retired and sold the in-town shop everything came home to our new shop and I don't need two of them.
We are just across the border from Port Huron, MI if anyone is interested.
Nick

18"hacksaw.JPG

18"hacksaw.JPG

I am interested in the power hacksaw and live in michigan. I will send you a private message. Thanks. Jim

I would give my left nut for that machine...Bob
Bob,
Youre not really offering much there. I heard you were already a gomer ( a one nutted Bull)....... Just kidding and having a little light hearted fun at your expense. Glad to see ya back around again too.
Bob

I'm pretty sure you can still get a new power hack, but damned if I recall who was making it...

The way I look at them is this. They cut heavy stock, really well. It depends on the piece you're cutting really, but you can get some insanely aggressive blades for them that will really plow through chips. Yea, the bandsaw never stops cutting, but in the right setting the power hack will still out cut them. Given the choice, I'd get a power hack as 99% of what I cut is done on my cold saw. The only thing I ever need to cut that it can't handle is really big stuff like I beams and big channel. Sure, I could do all that with a bandsaw, but they're far more fussy... I've never had a power hack not cut square, bandsaws on the other hand seem to cut diagonals better than straight... In my case it would live in the warehouse and get dragged out when needed once a year or so. I suspect that the hack would put up with that kind of treatment better than a band.

If I didn't have the cold saw, I'd likely get an abrasive chop before a horizontal band... Just a better setup for the kind of work we do...

On top of that, my father has a hack out at the family farm, and there are a lot of good memories associated with that dinosaur... Its pleasant to watch, and even listen to... Some day I'll have to restore that beast, but until then, it'll just keep cutting down in the basement of the barn...

-Tim

Bob,
Youre not really offering much there. I heard you were already a gomer ( a one nutted Bull)....... Just kidding and having a little light hearted fun at your expense. Glad to see ya back around again too.
Bob

Thanks. My wife says you are right :)...Bob

I sold my horizontal bandsaw as soon as I got my power hacksaw up and going. As was mentioned a couple of times, the hacksaw cuts straighter than the bandsaw I had and the cost per cut is dramatically cheaper. It also has enough gizmosity to make it fun to watch and since I am also a vintage machine freak, the power hack wins hands down.

My little Covel/Craftsman on custom stand:

011-16.jpg

Phil

011-16.jpg

That looks pretty much like mine, except that the cast iron arm weight and vise were missing and the connecting rod was broken when I got mine. Nice old machine. And, like a shaper or a campfire, you can't help but stare at it when it's going.

My dad has an old unit which uses "normal" hacksaw blades - 10" long from memory
the blade guide has an inclined bronze block which lifts the frame on the reverse stroke, and lowers the blade on the forward stroke.

I think from memory the motor drives the crank via a wormgear to get the speed down to a sensible range.

once I get photos working, i'll send through some photos, or if you can wait until October, I can get nameplate details.

I've got a power hacksaw and love it. It's great to watch as it goes about it's business, or I can keep an ear on it while I am doing something else. It is far less fiddley than a bandsaw, the blades are far cheaper and last much longer, too. Of course as others have said, it cuts straighter as well.

In an ideal world I would have three saws: One large power hacksaw like I currently have, to be used for cutting large, thick pieces. A second small power hacksaw that uses regular 10 inch hacksaw blades and fits on the benchtop would be ideal for cutting thinner bars. Thirdly a vertical bandsaw would be nice to have for some of those special projects.

My current power hacksaw was obtained for a very good price (free, but I spent a little over a hundred bucks for fuel to go get it). It had a three phase motor on it, so I had to buy a different motor for it, which I managed to get on clearance at a local Tractor Supply store. The worst thing was that I had to completely dissassemble it so that I could degrease all of it, it was absolutely filthy. Once it was all cleaned up I reassembled it so that I could get some use out it and make sure that it doesn't have any other problems before I disassemble it again to strip and repaint it. It needs a little TLC here and there, but nothing serious. I hope to strip it down next spring and give a total overhaul and repaint.

Back