Difference Between A Dc 'driver" & A Dc 'velocity Control Unit'?

Bradrock

Active User
Registered
The screw machine I bought has a Fanuc General Numeric GN3 control panel. The machine has Fanuc #5 DC servo motors with pulse coders. 108 volts 2000 rpm's.
I did not get any power supply's/drivers. I'm having zero luck trying to find out what all I need if I decide to put it back to original system.
Anyhow, while searching for Fanuc DC drivers, what I find are 'Velocity control units'
Are these actually DC 'drivers' or something different?
Every tid bit of info will be a great help to me.
Thank you, Brad

Traub screw machine #1 002 (Medium).JPG

It looks like 80's tech to me? These guys should be able to talk intelligently and give you the "101" info you'll need. http://cnc-electronics.com/product-category/fanuc-drives/velocity-control-unit/

I recently did a Supermax Mill w/ an old Allen-Bradly Bandit controller. DC Servos, drives had been ripped out. cords and wires everywhere... Ugg! The encoders on the motors are probably low resolution, The tach-feedback stuff is ancient, the power consumption excessive, the power supplies all old linear stuff, on and on. I mean I get the desire. I was there once. But- I ended up putting in a Centroid AjaxCNC controller and have been nothing but happy I did. I used the same ol' motors. did a rip and replace on the old encoders and tach stuff. Put on fresh high end encoders, rewired everything so I know every inch of it. This sounds like a heck of a project!!!! Good luck.

ps- Some more pictures would really be cool to see this thing as-is.

Back