Die holder first project

wpala

Active User
Registered
Hi there
So recently I have acquired 1340 SM series 2000 lathe bought the 115 v electric motor and way she goes, so as my first project I thought I will try to copy some other members ideas, and this is the item we all can use in the shop anywyas so I decided to do one of these for myself
started with 1 1/4 inch round AL bar
IMGP0002.jpg
previously I have purchased a M3 taper with 1 inch stub threaded in the middle added few inches of round steel and machined it to 1/2 inch in diameter
IMGP0003.jpg
next the AL bar was knurled and dressed up
IMGP0004.jpg
then I drilled the hole and bore the AL bar to fit the long stock from M3 tapper
IMGP0006.jpg
finally I have bored the place for a die one side holds a larger size other side holds the smaller one
IMGP0010.jpg
now both parts together
IMGP0011.jpgIMGP0012.jpg
Now all I need to do is to drill and tap small set screw to hold the dies on each end and a couple of handles on the middle and the first project is done, I'm kind of proud of this since this is first time in 20 years that I'm using a lathe forgot all the tricks of the trade will have to start again and this was a perfect project for me I hope you enjoyed this as much as I do

Paul:))

IMGP0002.jpg IMGP0003.jpg IMGP0004.jpg IMGP0006.jpg IMGP0010.jpg IMGP0011.jpg IMGP0012.jpg

Nice job. I like the long mandrel. It's sure to hold the die square to the chuck. Also ingenious the way it multi-tasks: die on each end.

Very nice, it sure beats trying to hold a die handle... I about lost a finger years ago doing that!!

I like that Idea! Keeps them straight every time. I've got another project. Thanks Dave

Nice project, looks like you haven't forgotten much, it's all come back pretty quick.

Very nice. I like the idea of both die sizes work on it.

Back