Die Filer

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
You all know how some projects fall by the way side till you need them. And some how you get by with out it.

This is the case of the Milwaukee die filer I've had about 3 years. Haven't really been able to use it because of a missing part.

I have the saw arm but not the file arm so yesterday I decided to get it done. SWMBO was gone with the camera so I didn't get in progress pictures. But from looking at the pictures you'll know what was done.

I've got to make some smaller rollers with different slots in them for differant shaped files but I need more Aluminum.

Paul

Die Filer 1.JPG Die Filer 2.JPG

Very nice job, I've set up the big filers, but there are times I wish I had that small one.

Nice work Paul!

Where do you buy your files from?
Or do you just invert a regular file for use?

I have a small Keller Die filer and also a Harvey Butterfly die filer that i am almost finished restoring.
They are great bits of machinery to have around the shop.

Andrew

Nice work Paul!

Where do you buy your files from?
Or do you just invert a regular file for use?

I have a small Keller Die filer and also a Harvey Butterfly die filer that i am almost finished restoring.
They are great bits of machinery to have around the shop.

Andrew

Andrew

You can get them at http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/productlist.html?subdepartments=Files,+Parallel+Machine:1564

Or http://www.fedfile.com/parallel.htm

That should keep you on files.

Paul

Thanks Paul!
I bought my first lot from Victor files and they are good quality.

The Harvey will require much larger files.

I will keep the fedfiles link handy!

Andrew

Got a hold of this Harvey die filer at auction the other day for the whopping price of $10. It was in pretty rough shape, so I pulled it apart, cleaned it up, fixed a broken table support, painted it and got her up and running. It was missing the over arm support but thanks to the over arm design posted previously by Paul (Old Iron), I was able to build a similar one. I think this machine is going to come in handy for long rifle work. I mounted it where the table is at about my chin - where I can easily see for detail filing. JEM

DSC05053.JPG DSC05055.JPG

Got a hold of this Harvey die filer at auction the other day for the whopping price of $10. It was in pretty rough shape, so I pulled it apart, cleaned it up, fixed a broken table support, painted it and got her up and running. It was missing the over arm support but thanks to the over arm design posted previously by Paul (Old Iron), I was able to build a similar one. I think this machine is going to come in handy for long rifle work. I mounted it where the table is at about my chin - where I can easily see for detail filing. JEM
Hi, great little filer.I just acquired 2 filers and parts from a third machine.The parts are from a Butterfly filer like yours. I have the belt guard with brass emblem,overarm support and to brackets that fit on it.Still trying to locate any other parts that might belong to this filer.I just joined the group and look forward to learning and helping other members. Have a great day.
daabamatic

I posted a thread about my toys earlier and will try and add a few pics of the filers I just came into.
daabamatic

005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG 010.JPG 012.JPG

I also have a filer, I believe its a Keller. I got mine for free, its complete and I was also given a number of files and all are new. The saw attachment is also there.

Oh, I still haven't used it yet, who knows maybe this winter.

Paul

JEM
Nice job on the over arm support but after using mine it needs a little work.

Paul

Back